Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Alternative for not working Sonic Speed sensors

karkauai

I'm leery about the DST800.  Marine Electric Services says they are prone to failure and don't recommend them any more.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
Panama cell: +507-61171896
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Sep 8, 2017, at 2:06 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent
Would the B&G DST800 (by Aitmar I'm sure) do the trick along with their Forward Scan transducer.
Craig ( off NJ shore en route to Chesapeake)

Stephen Davis

Hi Kent,

I installed a DST800 about 3 years ago on Aloha for my Ray Marine instruments. Had to remove the transducer from a dead forward looking sonar unit, enlarge the hole, and install the DST800. Only one persons experience, but it's still going strong 7000nm later. It seemed like a better option at the time than an extra hole for a paddle wheel. My very old B&G depth transducer recently failed, and I bought the only available replacement through Myles Electronics in FL for way too much money. Have not installed it yet, but hoping to get my 2nd depth source on line again.

Regards,

Steve
Aloha SM72
Aruba for a few more days

On Sep 13, 2017, at 08:23, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'm leery about the DST800.  Marine Electric Services says they are prone to failure and don't recommend them any more.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
Panama cell: +507-61171896
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Sep 8, 2017, at 2:06 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent
Would the B&G DST800 (by Aitmar I'm sure) do the trick along with their Forward Scan transducer.
Craig ( off NJ shore en route to Chesapeake)

greatketch@...

A year ago I replaced my Sonic Speed with a Airmar CS4500 ultrasonic speed sensor.  It has been perfect. Reliable and accurate.  Readings are stable and responsive.  It does not have the electrical interference issues that plagued my Sonic Sensor, and not having to deal with fouled paddle wheels is great.  For a while I ran the sonic sensor and the CS4500 side-by-side, and they always agreed perfectly--or at least they did when the sonic sensor chose to work.

I enlarged the existing depth sensor hole to install the CS4500, and installed a P79 in-the-hull depth transducer, and all is happy.

I have not decided yet if I will take out the sonic sensor at the next haul out.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Deltaville, Virginia

---In amelyachtowners@..., <flyboyscd@...> wrote :

[...]

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Raymarine offers depth sounder that does not require a hole in the boat. It works through a fiberglass bottom.
Did anibody used it type?

Vladimir
202 258 1916

On Sep 8, 2017, at 2:06 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Kent
Would the B&G DST800 (by Aitmar I'm sure) do the trick along with their Forward Scan transducer.
Craig ( off NJ shore en route to Chesapeake)

greatketch@...

Vladimir,

I have used that type of transducer and several other Amel owners have as well.  They are made by Airmar, and are known in their catalog as a "P79".
The only difference between the various brand labels for transducers like this is the connector on the end of the cable.

They work very well on a solid fiberglass hull boat like an Amel.  On a cored hull--not so much.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Deltaville, Virginia

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sonsev52@...> wrote :

Raymarine offers depth sounder that does not require a hole in the boat. It works through a fiberglass bottom.
Did anibody used it type?

Vladimir
202 258 1916

Alan Leslie

RE P79

Note that this sensor DOES NOT WORK WITH B&G HYDRA, it is the wrong frequency.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Thanks for your comment.

Vladimir Sonsev
Tel/Text: 202 258 1916

On Sep 13, 2017 5:32 PM, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Vladimir,

I have used that type of transducer and several other Amel owners have as well.  They are made by Airmar, and are known in their catalog as a "P79".
The only difference between the various brand labels for transducers like this is the connector on the end of the cable.

They work very well on a solid fiberglass hull boat like an Amel.  On a cored hull--not so much.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Deltaville, Virginia

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Raymarine offers depth sounder that does not require a hole in the boat. It works through a fiberglass bottom.
Did anibody used it type?

Vladimir
202 258 1916

greatketch@...

Alan,

The P79 works at both 50 and 200 kHz, so I am guessing the Hydra runs at 83kHz?  Or is it something unique and proprietary?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Deltaville, Virginia

Alan Leslie

Bill

The B&G Hydra 2000 depth works at 170kHz

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

karkauai

Thanks for sharing that good experience with me Steve.  I'm still looking at options, and may not do anything right now unless I find a good option that fits the existing old EchoPilot transducer hole.  My old depth sounder and boat speed still work, and I'm waiting to see what new forward sonars come out in the next year or two.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

karkauai

Thanks Bill.  It sounds like you're happy with the P79 depth sounder looking through the glass bottom.  I will probably add that so I'll have a backup depth in case the old B&G fails.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

karkauai