[Amel Yacht Owners] Swivel head

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi John, as a first shot give it a good rinse with fresh water to get the salt crystals out of it. . On a previous boat I had one seize up mid Pacific. We unfurled the sail by hand, lowered the sail. Gave the swivel a good wash and it freed up. For good measure we pumped a bit of grease in. It fixed the problem. I have since been told not to put grease in but on that occasion it was fine and I kept it greased for the rest of my ownership, about another 5 years. Didn't seem to do it any harm.

May not fix yours but its a simple first try.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 19 September 2017 at 15:11 "John Broersen cestsibon1@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good evening Amel owners,

I own a Amel Mango and the swivel head on the genoa furler is almost seized up. I have not taken it apart yet, I am wondering what kind of parts if any I need to repair the swivel head?
Thanks for any help, Amel Mango C'est si Bon
John

Alan Leslie

I would never ever put grease in anything like that. All it will do is hold on to salt and dirt and amplify any problems.
Best to just thoroughly rinse with fresh water, again and again......
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Allan, as I said since then I have been told that. However the unit never failed again so it did no harm and it would seem the grease stopped the salt penetrating again. BUT the expert advice is no grease.

Regards

Danny