From: 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Sep 21, 2017 6:54 am
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbo Rebuild

Pat,
I was afraid you’d ask that. I didn’t say because I couldn’t remember. As I recall I did drop it off to their shop on the way home from Rock Hall, but I don’t recall why they felt it was not rebuildable.
Sorry for the non-informational answer.
Mike

Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 4:25 PM

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 4:25 PM

[...]

Hello Paul,

I had this issue twice on 2 different TMD22.  In each case, the turbo was rebuilt as it was not seized badly. Make it a point to give your engine an Italian tune up often. I run the engine at least 30-40 minutes at near Max power every 10 hours or so.  I make a note of it in the ship’s log too.

When leaving the boat for a long period, remove the exhaust tube entirely and spray wd 40 into the turbo.  With a small wooden piece, spin it.  LEAVE THE EXHAUST OFF.  The cause of the seizure is salt water condensation in the turbo.

Your turbo is not Perkins.  You have a Volvo and Volvo changed enough things to make you tear your hair out.  Don’t ask….

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM007