[Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>

Hello Ryan,

I have the same problem with two of my Climma conditioners.  The problem with the unit in the living room was a $15 relay (repair to be completed soon), but the problem with the aft cabin required a replacement of the entire switch.  After doing the same research, I bought the FX-2 W/Softstart with metal enclosure..  ASY360-XL6.  I also got the Brass Sensor SUB-056-X07,  Display Cable SUB-031-X10,  EasyTouch Cont Disp 8 P WIFI  ASY-389-X02-WIFI  Firmware Version N10.

All at a cost of $US824 .

I decided for now to change the Climma brains in the aft cabin because 1) the controls are in the bathroom, and you have to get out of bed to change the settings, and 2) because that is the place where we use aircon the most.   I will try to install the unit in the next week, so ( a big SO) if successful I'll update with some photos and wiring instructions to complete the task.  Looks like it should be easy if you have the correct wiring diagrams.  I asked for some help for the guys at Micro Air, and not much back.  Sent them the Climma wiring diagram, and thought they would send me a diagram showing where each wire should go...

If anyone has completed the installation of the FX2 with easy start/Easy Touch with WiFi, please let me know..

Thanks,

Ken Powers
SV Aquarius SM@K 262
Currently in Trinidad on the hard at PowerBoats

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:52 PM, "Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hi all,
One of the mechanical Climma air conditioning control panels on my boat is not fully functional, and apparently these panels are no longer made.  After lengthy back and forth with Veco/Climma, Coastal Climate Control, and Micro Air (all of which have been a pleasure to work with thus far), it seems the best path forward for me is to replace the entire "brain" of the AC unit with the FX-2 from Micro Air and the associated EasyTouch control panel.  This is definitely overkill, but not significantly more difficult or expensive than any of the other options, and nets a bunch of new features (like dehumidify mode, day/time scheduling, and WiFi remote control).  I'm going to replace the controls on all 3 units so they're all consistent and I can take full advantage of the new features.  I especially think it will be valuable for heating over the cold Boston winter.

Before I pull the trigger, has anyone else done something like this?  Any tips or tricks?

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Ryan,
Sorry about your problem…
I can not reply your question, but here is a link when I swap the air conditioning
http://nikimat.com/air_conditioning_climma_marine_compact_9_eh.html
Some parts might be of interest for you such as Part 3 and 4
I would also look at Part 12, 22, 23, 24, etc.
As they are similar, I took different pictures and illustrated better some parts than some other.
It will also familiarize you with what to expect, how it looks, etc.

Hope that help.
Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 4:55 PM

[...]

Ryan Meador

Ken,
Glad to hear you arrived at the same conclusion.  We must have been talking to these vendors at the same time.  I've opted not to get the soft-start as I don't think I have one now and it works fine.  I'm told the FX-2 can be configured with a delayed start, replacing the timer module in the existing system.  I look forward to hearing how it works out for you, but I'm going to place my order today on faith that it will work :)  There's a two-week lead time and winter is fast approaching up here.

Alexandre,
Thank you for the photos and diagrams!  I was very sorry to hear of the loss of your boat, and I'm very glad you're still active in this community.  Your posts have helped me invaluably as a new owner.

Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 4:55 PM

[...]

Hello Alexandre,

The Micro Air switch/controller is now installed, but used the help of a good electrical/Aircon Guy to help do it.  Alone, I would have never got the switch to work.

I have not connected the heater function because needed a Triac switch, and I didn't have one.  Didn't know about the required switch until during installation.

The other thing I didn't know..  You have to use the old Run Cap for the Fan Motor.  The fan will not run with out it, and I believe it should go in series with the brown wire.  Yes, I believe the brown wire is connected to the end of the run cap, and the other end of the run cap is connected to the Micro Air control box.  This, I would have never known given the instructions.

Also, you have to use the Start Cap, and the Run Caps for the compressor.  But this is shown in the documentation.

The controller is working great, but have not figured out how to use the switch over wifi.  Very, Very Happy with the current set up now, and everything functioning good so far...

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K 262
sailingaquarius.com

------------------------------ --------------

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 4:55 PM

[...]

Good morning Ken,
Glad your air conditioning is working great with the new controller!
Definitely looks like you needed the help of a good air conditioning person to make everything work!
Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 6:13 AM

7:00 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
wrote:

Good morning Ryan,

Sorry about your problem…

I can not reply your question, but here is a link when I
swap the air conditioning

http://nikimat.com/air_
conditioning_climma_marine_ compact_9_eh.html

Some parts might be of interest for you such as Part 3 and
4

I would also look at Part 12, 22, 23, 24, etc.

As they are similar, I took different pictures and
illustrated better some parts than some other.

It will also familiarize you with what to expect, how it
looks, etc.

Hope that help.

Sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------

On Tue, 9/26/17, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@gmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 4:55 PM

[...]

Did you get yours installed yet?

Ken aboard Aquarius
Currently in Santa Marta Columbia
sailingaquarius.com

To: "amelyachtowners@..."

Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 4:55 PM

[...]

Hi Ken,
I think you may have been addressing that question to me.  Unfortunately, I have not yet had a chance to install my new controller.  I've been very busy with other things.  I better get to it soon, though, since it's going to go below freezing this week!

The instructions and conversations I've had with Micro Air indicate that the heater can be powered directly from the FX-2 controller without a triac if it draws less than 10A (via the reverse cycle valve output).  My heater draws less than 6A.

I'm glad it's working for you.  That gives me hope!

Thanks,
Ryan

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>