[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Iridium Go or Iridium 9555 with Red Port Optimiser

Porter McRoberts

Question on this topic please for Iridium Go users:

Are used him go both with its own and Hanna and then also plugged in to an existing iridium satellite phone antenna.

Regardless of the antenna used I find that it takes sometimes multiple times even up to 10 or more before my login to the Mail and download is successful. It may take some times 30 to 50 minutes of failed attempts before I get a connection and am able to download the mail.

Sometimes I get so frustrated I just simply abandon the task and come back to it later as it may take that amount of time – 30, 40, 50 minutes of attempting and then I abandon.
Am I an outlier? Or do others also have this scenario?

Very much appreciated

Porter and Helen McRoberts
Fort Lauderdale
S/V Ibis 54-152

On Oct 2, 2017, at 8:12 AM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We used IGo and PredictWind and found it very user friendly and the service from PW is second to none.

The time to download depends on How large area you want and How much info you are asking for. We started to download before breakfast or before a cup of coffe. Usually it toke about 10 minuters. No attachéens if you do it from s computer it enda up " direkt " in you program on your PC or Mac. Come as a mail for tabletts.
200 Word to send as a mail take less  than a minute. However talking gave echoes on our unit, we had the external antenna
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Porter McRoberts

How embarrassing. Damn Siri.

Please find the second sentence corrected as:

I use iridium go both with its own internal antenna and then also plugged into an existing iridium satellite phone antenna.

On Oct 2, 2017, at 5:29 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Osterberg

We sometimes have had problems to download mail, not to the extent you describe.
It worked better on our IPad than on our Low budget Samsung Tablet.
Never had any problem with downloading PredictWind?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Porter McRoberts

Ok. Thanks Paul I appreciate the response.
Porter.

On Oct 2, 2017, at 5:44 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We sometimes have had problems to download mail, not to the extent you describe.

It worked better on our IPad than on our Low budget Samsung Tablet.
Never had any problem with downloading PredictWind?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

greatketch@...

Porter,

Your experience is very different than mine.

My data connections go through first time at least 90% of the time.

Do you have good signal strength displayed on the Iridium Go when you are having problems?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

---In amelyachtowners@..., <portermcroberts@...> wrote :

Question on this topic please for Iridium Go users:

Are used him go both with its own and Hanna and then also plugged in to an existing iridium satellite phone antenna.

Regardless of the antenna used I find that it takes sometimes multiple times even up to 10 or more before my login to the Mail and download is successful. It may take some times 30 to 50 minutes of failed attempts before I get a connection and am able to download the mail.

Sometimes I get so frustrated I just simply abandon the task and come back to it later as it may take that amount of time – 30, 40, 50 minutes of attempting and then I abandon.
Am I an outlier? Or do others also have this scenario?

Very much appreciated

Porter and Helen McRoberts
Fort Lauderdale
S/V Ibis 54-152

Porter McRoberts

Bill,
No I don’t. If the bar signal in the app represents the bar signal of the iridium it can be tens of minutes of waiting before I get above 3 bars (3/5) which is when I do get success. That’s the issue. Perhaps connecting to the previous owners existing iridium satellite antenna with the iridium go antenna converter doesn’t provide the best coverage. I have the iridium mounted under the Nav station and connected to he old antenna.

Anyway to test to see if the antenna is good?  Bill Rouse?  Any thoughts?

Perhaps bringing the iridium top sides is the way to go.

I’ll test it out.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks

Porter

S/V Ibis. 54-152 Fort Lauderdale.

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Question on this topic please for Iridium Go users:

Are used him go both with its own and Hanna and then also plugged in to an existing iridium satellite phone antenna.

Regardless of the antenna used I find that it takes sometimes multiple times even up to 10 or more before my login to the Mail and download is successful. It may take some times 30 to 50 minutes of failed attempts before I get a connection and am able to download the mail.

Sometimes I get so frustrated I just simply abandon the task and come back to it later as it may take that amount of time – 30, 40, 50 minutes of attempting and then I abandon.
Am I an outlier? Or do others also have this scenario?

Very much appreciated

Porter and Helen McRoberts
Fort Lauderdale
S/V Ibis 54-152

Bob Grey

Hi Guys I’ve had an Iridium Go for 3 years, worked great for sms and Voice on my IPhone and IPad, I’ve just tried to add data and use the iridium Go Mail app, for email and pedictwind grib files but it refuses to connect to data, I’ve followed all the recommended procedures but the data call drops out and won’t connect after 30seconds. My sim supplier seems stumped and washed his hands, any advice?.

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
A 55 #25

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 19:42, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Question on this topic please for Iridium Go users:

Are used him go both with its own and Hanna and then also plugged in to an existing iridium satellite phone antenna.

Regardless of the antenna used I find that it takes sometimes multiple times even up to 10 or more before my login to the Mail and download is successful. It may take some times 30 to 50 minutes of failed attempts before I get a connection and am able to download the mail.

Sometimes I get so frustrated I just simply abandon the task and come back to it later as it may take that amount of time – 30, 40, 50 minutes of attempting and then I abandon.
Am I an outlier? Or do others also have this scenario?

Very much appreciated

Porter and Helen McRoberts
Fort Lauderdale
S/V Ibis 54-152

karkauai

That's disappointing to hear Porter.  I just added new fixed antenna because of that same experience without it.
Kent