[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Speaking of temperatures and alarms

Porter McRoberts

It would also help the hominid that seems to live down there!

On Oct 5, 2017, at 6:33 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I was actually thinking about adding a 24 Volt blower, not running it off the 12 volt starting battery.  Adding a snap switch thermostat that came on at temperatures of 120F (50C) or so.

Not a high priority project, but just something that I hope would help my electronics that live in the engine room...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

greatketch@...

There certainly are days when I feel like I live in the engine room!  (today being a good example!) Other days I am convinced there are gremlins who live down there, and I have no interest at all in making them comfortable!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

Hi Bill, Can you remind me of the name of the anchor you liked ( Mitsu or something similar )?
I have a friend in Vancouver who is looking at what is available .

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Croatia

On 7 Oct 2017, at 03:02, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There certainly are days when I feel like I live in the engine room!  (today being a good example!) Other days I am convinced there are gremlins who live down there, and I have no interest at all in making them comfortable!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

greatketch@...

Ian,

The anchor I like is a Mantus.  Similar in looks to a Rocna, in my experience the Mantus sets even faster and (when needed) on a shorter scope.  If you follow the  Manus recommendation for sizing, you'll have an anchor with a larger surface area buried in the seabed, which is what counts for keeping the boat in one place.

How much better than a Rocna?  That's hard for me to quantify. The difference is not huge, but I think it is very real. Obviously none of us have much experience with the different anchors--at the same time--in the same place--from the same boat.  But I have used both quite a bit.

I would say the Ronca always sets and holds the first time every time.  Well... except for that time in the really soft mud in the Harness River, oh, and that time in the shallow sand in Bottom Harbor, or that time...  You get the idea.  It is perfect, except when there is a good reason for it not to be.

The Mantus has no "excepts" for me in that story.  Someday, there will be some, I am sure. Nothing is really perfect.

The only other anchors I have personnel cruising experience with are CQR and Bruce.  They, of course, work most of the time, but they don't come close to any of the modern designs under most conditions.  There are lots of others I can not say good or bad things about because I have not used them.

I think by the time you are done shopping, this is such a competitive business, prices are not very different.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote :

Hi Bill, Can you remind me of the name of the anchor you liked ( Mitsu or something similar )?
I have a friend in Vancouver who is looking at what is available .

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Croatia

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Speaking of anchors this baby set me back my first born but he was an ingrate anyway. My first Amel and she deserves it. I have used the al. Version with never an issue. The guy has one more for a good price.

Chuck
SM2K Joy #388