[Amel Yacht Owners] Going North in December

Mark Erdos

Chuck and Kim,

It is not a good idea to be in the gulfstream with any aspect of a north wind. I would suggest you wait for a good window with a couple of days of easterly winds and go for it. With the gulf stream current and a 15kt E wind you should easily make 8 kts ground speed – 48hrs.

However, If you have time there are a couple of fun places to stop along the coast: St. Augustine, Fernandina, Cumberland Island etc.  

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 11:26 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Going North in December

Hi All,

I know many of you have traveled North along the Florida coast during various parts of the year. A little advice requested. I will be moving my boat from Ft. Lauderdale to Brunswick, GA. We will be moving it in early December. That brings the prospect of North winds against the Gulf Stream (December pilot charts and conventional wisdom seem to indicate this). Is there a general consensus as to a straight shot (~2.5 days). Daily hops (~5-6 days) or a combination depending on 3-5 day forecasts. Just don't want to get caught out at night in a bad blow and have to find shelter in a skinny poorly marked inlet. This stretch is unfamiliar to me. I researched acceptable inlets so there are a number to choose from. 

Thanks for your time.

Chuck & Kim

s/v Joy #388