Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences

james Hosford

Not to hijack,  I would be interested if anyone ever pulled up the fake teak and replaced with nonskid?

On Oct 29, 2017, at 4:36 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For those of you who have more experiences with Amel's of different vintages... are there fitting differences between the Leroy Somer and Bonfiglioli gearboxes used on the Mainmast furling system?

Are they interchangeable?  Interchangeable with modifications?  Or just too different to try?

Thanks!

Bill Kinney

Sm160, Harmonie

Deltaville, VA

Waiting for the last of TS Philippe to go by so we can head south.

… following on the hijack below :-)

I was very impressed by the job done on ALOHA, an older SM.  Steve is a member of this parish and should see this soon.

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera SM007

On 31 Oct 2017, at 00:00, Jay Hosford jay.hosford@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Not to hijack,  I would be interested if anyone ever pulled up the fake teak and replaced with nonskid?

On Oct 29, 2017, at 4:36 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

For those of you who have more experiences with Amel's of different vintages... are there fitting differences between the Leroy Somer and Bonfiglioli gearboxes used on the Mainmast furling system?

Are they interchangeable?  Interchangeable with modifications?  Or just too different to try?

Thanks!

Bill Kinney

Sm160, Harmonie

Deltaville, VA

Waiting for the last of TS Philippe to go by so we can head south.

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Since my boat is equipped with the Leroy Somer Mini Bloc MVA outhaul transmissions and I have 2 spares of the Bonfiglioli Model VF44 I wanted to see if they are identical.

Here are the differences I found:
http://nikimat.com/furler_transmission_leroy_somer_vs_bonfiglioli.html

Sincerely, Alexandre

For those of you
who have more experiences with Amel's of different
vintages... are there fitting differences between
the Leroy Somer and Bonfiglioli gearboxes used on
the Mainmast furling system?

Are they interchangeable?
Interchangeable with modifications?  Or just too different
to try?
Thanks!
Bill
KinneySm160,
HarmonieDeltaville,
VAWaiting for the last of TS
Philippe to go by so we can head
south.

Craig Briggs

One other difference is you'll have to grind off the cooling fins on the Bonfiglioli if using it for the mast furler (vs. outhaul) so it can fit inside the mast opening (at least on the SN).
Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <uster@...> wrote :

[...]

Excellent to know!
I never replaced the one inside the mast so did now know about that, but makes sense.

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 10:14 AM

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com,
<uster@...> wrote :

[...]

Ian Park

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.
Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation, but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

Alexandre Uster von Baar

For information, I have 2 NEW Bonfiglioli for sale.
http://nikimat.com/parts_for_sale/bonfiglioli_model_vf44_p1_70_p63_b14_b370_1_reduction.html

Preferably pick up in Sint Maarten, but can ship.

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

John Clark

Hi All,
   I replaced both outhaul and mainsail furler bonfig  gearboxes and did not have to grind down either one.  Both were bolt on replacement.

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Thanks for the info John!

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 11:32 PM

"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com

------------------------------ --------------

On Mon, 11/6/17, Ian parkianj@gmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox
Differences

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one

down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something
very

similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium

etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson
separation,

but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

Craig Briggs

hi John,
As I noted, you do have to grind the fins on the SN, Sounds like the SM mast section is a bit bigger.
And, Ian, I had to remove the boom and use a hydraulic bench press to remove the shaft from the line tender. Since it has a woodruff key I did sand it down a fraction when I reinstalled it so next time should be easier. Also, you'll want a proper drill press with long bits to drill the holes. Also, since you'll be opening the unit the factory gear oil will seep out - suggest using grease on reassembly and add Zerk fittings for periodic maintenance. I never had much luck with the paint lasting very long, but your technique sounds good, Wonder if a 2-part like Awlgrip might be more durable. I had though of having it powder coated but didn't want to remove the rubber plug and seals.
Good luck with it,
Craig SN#68

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

Stephen Davis

Hey John,

Were these gearboxes acquired from Amel or from other sources. If from another source, can you forward that info to me.

Thanks,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Panama

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

John Clark

Hi Craig,
   We saw your boat at Oriental NC,  but couldn't find you before we left.
I too was surprised that the cooling fins did not interfere with the mast.  I was prepared to grind them off,  which isn't too big of a job as it is aluminium and easy to take off metal.

I agree with you on the zirc fittings,  if my original gears had fittings they would still be on the boat.  Bill R,  cautioned to replace fittings with plastic caps when not greasing to prevent galvanic corrosion.

   Regards,  John

SV Annie. SM 37.

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

Craig Briggs

John,
Sorry we missed you - have you headed south? We're in Ft Pierce for a bit.
The plastic caps/plugs are fine, although grease fittings always bathed in, er, grease, are not prime candidates for corrosion :-)
Cheers, Craig SN68

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Craig, et al,

I had a slight amount of dissimilar metal corrosion between the stainless steel grease fittings and the cast aluminum gearbox housing. Using plastic/nylon/delrin screws/bolts is a good idea if you want to keep it looking good.
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

--

Craig Briggs

Yes, Bill, as I said, "the plastic caps/plugs are fine". Perhaps as annoying is the failure of the finish, as some have pointed out. I recall Kent had some of his parts powder coated. Better yet, as Joel encourages, use that water maker and rinse off the seawater as often as possible.
Cheers, Craig

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

--

James Cromie

When drilling and tapping grease fitting holes on the gearboxes, are people doing so with the gearbox disassembled, or are you doing it blindly.  If doing it blindly, how thick is the housing, and where are the fittings best placed?

Thanks
James

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM

Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)

--

Alan Leslie

If you are going to disassemble the gearbox, why not just fill it with SAE90 oil?
That will do a much better job of keeping the gears lubricated than grease.
Grease tends to get thrown off gears as they turn and doesn't stay where the gears are meshed, which is what you really want to lubricate.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
On the hard, raising the waterline

James Cromie

What is the consensus of others, then, regarding using gear oil versus grease for the furlor and outhaul gearboxes?
Indeed, it would seem that gear oil would be the appropriate lubrication, but I look to those smarter than me…

James

On Nov 9, 2017, at 10:47 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

If you are going to disassemble the gearbox, why not just fill it with SAE90 oil?

That will do a much better job of keeping the gears lubricated than grease.
Grease tends to get thrown off gears as they turn and doesn't stay where the gears are meshed, which is what you really want to lubricate.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
On the hard, raising the waterline

Jean Boucharlat

James,

There are entire libraries filled with heavy books, theses, knowledgeable opinions, about the respective merits of grease and oil.

You can spend the upcoming winter making up your mind if you have the courage to investigate thoroughly this particular issue.

Take the plunge, make your own decision about what fits your particular circumstances.

Jean Boucharlat

Formerly SM 232

What is the consensus of others, then, regarding using gear oil versus grease for the furlor and outhaul gearboxes?

Indeed, it would seem that gear oil would be the appropriate lubrication, but I look to those smarter than me…

James

On Nov 9, 2017, at 10:47 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

If you are going to disassemble the gearbox, why not just fill it with SAE90 oil?

That will do a much better job of keeping the gears lubricated than grease.

Grease tends to get thrown off gears as they turn and doesn't stay where the gears are meshed, which is what you really want to lubricate.

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

On the hard, raising the waterline

greatketch@...

I am pretty sure it doesn't (much) matter which you use.  After all, even on a heavily sailed boat we run REALLY low duty cycles on these gear boxes. Think about it, in a really busy day of sailing, that gearbox sees maybe 15 minutes of use. If you are underway 100 days a year, that's only 25 hours of operation, and that's a very generous estimate.  I'd be surprised it in the real world we accumulated 100 hours in 10 years of full time cruising.

Far more important than grease vs oil is making sure you replace the shaft seals BEFORE they fail and let salt water in to the internals.  I have those on a two year replacement interval.  How did I chose that?  Because after two years, there was not a trace of water inside the gearbox, and I see no good reason to push it further out than that.  I also use double lip seals to help keep water and salt out.

The transmissions on my Lewmar electric winches are essentially the same as used on the furling system, and they get used a LOT more.  Yet we rarely have problems with them.  Why?  Because they are below deck and stay dry.

One possible advantage to using oil is that if the seals fail the oil leaks out and make a mess you can see which (hopefully) prompts a quick repair.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
On the hard at LMC,
Fort Lauderdale, FL