Dinghy type and storage

Miles

This is a new topic.  Posted here because of bad connection from boat.
I am looking for someone to join me (and one other person) on Ladybug from Bermuda to Antigua and then on to Martinique. I will be in Bermuda tomorrow.  Mobile 1401 545 0931.  Boat email is WCY6946@.... Email while in Bermuda Milesbid@....  I want to leave Bermuda as soon as I have a 3rd person.  If you want to try an Amel Super Maramu, this is your chance.  Ladybug is superbly equipped and maintained (new motor, new rigging, etc).
Miles Bidwell

sbmesasailor

I suppose a lot of it has to do with where you plan to cruise in your Maramu.  Space is a little more limited on the Maramu than on the SM and larger Amels.  We knew that we were going to cross a couple of oceans and did not want to have it on deck during those crossings (much less have something hanging from davits off the stern).  We selected a four man dinghy with an inflatable floor.  The dinghy could be deflated, folded and stowed in one of the forward bow holds.  Eventually the inflatable floor failed (holes that could not be repaired) and we had a rigid plywood floor fabricated.  It's a bitch to install, but once in it works great as the bladder to form a hull wedge still inflates.  With the 9.8 Tohatsu I can quickly get up to plane with two aboard and when we are gunkholing from anchorage to anchorage, we lift the dinghy and engine together onto the foredeck, protecting the deck from the engine lower unit with beach wheels extended.

If I wasn't going to cross oceans, I would go with one of the many hard bottom options but keep it short to fit on the foredeck or the aft deck.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@...

We stored our new Highfield Ultralite 290 RIB dinghy like you see on the picture. We tried different types of storage but find at the end this one a good solution. Still good sight ahead, no blocked hatches, you can use the automatic winch to haul it out of the water.

For shorter distances we also stored the dinghy like you see but turned it. It makes it easier to store it and to haul it back in the water, because you don't have to turn it.

We take more lines to secure it like you see on the picture.

We put old fenders or pillows on the bottom so we don't scratch the boat.

The 2,90 m dinghy was for our family (2 adults, 2 kids) perfect. Enough space for diving equipment, shopping and two more passengers as guests.

The type/size of the dinghy depends at the end on the size of your engine and the number of passengers.

I would always recommend a aluminum hull because of the light weight, even when the dinghy is more expensive.

Oliver
SV JoEmi
SM 2000 No. 397

james Hosford

What's the consensus on dinghy type and storage on an amel maramu? I see a lot other permanent rack ahead of the mast, while some with it tied down to the rear cabin top.