Topics

Hurth Gearbox heat exchanger coupling

Alan Leslie

Hi folks,

Does anyine have a part number / source for the rubber reducer couplings on the ends of the heat exchanger for the Hurth gearbox as used with the Yanmar 4JH3HTE ?
Thanks

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

smiles bernard

Hi alan
I don't know what type of gearbox you have but Perhaps this helps

Looks like there are part numbers in this

All the best
Miles

mfmcgovern@...

Bowman part number 3367: https://www.asap-supplies.com/us/bowman-end-cap-3367np

Mark
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bernard,

Mine is a ZF25-2.8

But it doesn't mention the oil cooler parts at all.....maybe they are from Amel.
Cheers
alan
Elyse SM437

scentstone

Hi Mark,

Thank you for this useful piece of information.
I'm not aboard but I have in mind that the Bowman rubber reducers are different on both size.
Are you experienced in replacement of this and can you confirm that the cooler is setup with 2 of this reference part number 3367 ?

Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Fred
S/V ScentStone
SM2K #375

mfmcgovern@...

Fred,

I just climbed into the engine room and double-checked. Mine are the same size on each side of the Heat Exchanger. I also measured them and 3367 is the correct size at 32mm ID on one side and 51mm on the other. However, take this with a grain of salt as I have no idea if Amel used the same cooler on all SMs.

Mark
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

scentstone

Thanks Mark,

I think that with your check and the notice from Bill I can order 2 Ref 3367 and take a rest ;-)

Great team !

Fred
S/V ScentStone
SM2K #375

rossirossix4

Hi Alan,
I posted this quite awhile back but the Bowman Guy in Malta (I was buying a new spare from him) told me that the transmission heat exchanger rarely (kind of like never) fails UNLESS the end caps are tightened too much.  This cracks the solder joints.  I guess tighten them snuggly and then check them immediately when you splash or open the seacock, then with motor on, etc. and check for sea water in the transmission oil frequently for a while.
Bob, KAIMI SM429

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bob,
It's actually the rubber end caps on mine which are cracking and splitting. I want to change them before disaster strikes. The heat exchanger is made by BOWMAN and I found a local dealer who has them in stock.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

rossirossix4

Exactly, when you clamp the new rubber reducers on, it is important to be careful not to tighten them too much.  I'm sure you know this but I thought I would get it in the posting for anyone referencing this in the future.

Related, the exchanger is one of the first things downstream from the strainer to check for obstructions.  When the rubber is removed and replaced for inspection it is important not to overtighten.  The exchangers only cost about $160 or so, but the leakage of saltwater into the transmission can be much more costly.

Bob

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bob,

Do you have the BOWMAN part number for the heat exchanger?
If they're only $160, I should maybe replace the whole thing just to be sure?
Or at least to have a spare.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437