Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Illustration removal outhaul boom transmission shaft.

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Here is an illustration I wanted to post for a long time:

The removal of the shaft of the Leroy Somer (or Bonfiglioli Model VF44) outhaul boom transmission.

This is the very first repair I did in March 2013, it is not a good illustration, many missing pictures, but will help new Amel owners.

http://nikimat.com/furler_transmission_outhaul_shaft_removal_main_mast.html

Also you will see the differences between the Leroy Somer Mini Bloc MVA and the Bonfiglioli Model VF44 on the below link:
http://nikimat.com/furler_transmission_leroy_somer_vs_bonfiglioli.html

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

Ian Park

Excellent timing Alexander. I am about to attack this very project. My Santorin has Bonfiglios so I don’t anticipate some of the issues by replacing like for like.
But thank you for the photos.

How are things generally in St Martin now? We would like to come there again, but don’t know what the conditions are like re local navigation, marinas and chandlers etc opening up again.

Any advice most welcome

Best wishes

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Ian,

Sorry, I replied your previous post, then just saw this message!

Excellent for the illustration! Hope it helps!
When you remove the shaft, could you please measure its diameter?
I am "guessing" it is 16 mm on the Santorin and was 19 or 20 on my SM2K.

Very slowly there is a bit of progress in Sint Maarten, but people realize the tourist season they thought they would be ready for is not going to be as good.
On the paper you could see they were not happy 25 Cruise Ship had scheduled to go to St Thomas and here I think 2…

I would wait before coming.
They are a few boats anchored outside the bridge, but there is no marina to go to, and if there was a slip no power not electricity (at least for both the IGY).
Doesn’t look like Port de Plaisance has started any salvaging.
I am renting a car and will check Island Water World as well as Anse Marcel later this week.
For the Chandlery Island Water World has bee open for a while and I am sure Budget Marine is, I will check later this week.

Eric (on Kimberlite) needed fuel, so I inquired and was told the only fuel station accessible by boat is near the french bridge.

Don’t hesitate to ask me time to time how things are progressing!
I will fly to St Barth later this month.

Hope we meet!
I have never been on the Santorin and would love to have a tour!
Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Illustration removal outhaul boom transmission shaft.
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:20 PM

Excellent timing Alexander. I am about to attack
this very project. My Santorin has Bonfiglios so I don’t
anticipate some of the issues by replacing like for like.

But thank you for the photos.

How are things generally in St Martin now? We would like to
come there again, but don’t know what the conditions are
like re local navigation, marinas and chandlers etc opening
up again.

Any advice most welcome

Best wishes

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Ian Park

Alexandre
We will be around Antigua at the beginning of February to pick up friends who are visiting. So the earliest we would be able to cruise further north is after that. We were in St Martin 2 years ago when we were last on the boat. It was so sad to hear and see the destruction in such a lovely island.
When we do get there we will be in touch and very much hope you will be our first guest on board. We owe you more than a few drinks!
I will let you know the shaft diameter. There are so many similarities about the Santorin and SM that I am not sure how many parts were the same, for convenience of build - apart from the 12v motors throughout.
I hope St Barts is recovering too, we very much enjoyed our time there and want to return.

Best wishes

Ian and Linda

To: amelyachtowners@...