Flopper stoppers off the poles?

Davi Rozgonyi

Ciao all... I am in the final stages of getting a SM and for my first question on this form, I had a silly one.... anyone try using some kind of flopper stopper from the jib/code 0 poles at anchor? Are the supports/uphaul strong enough for this? Even dumber question, anyone try running birds off the poles while sailing downwind to control rolling?

Many thanks!

Davi

Craig Briggs

Hello Davi,

Yes, I used Davis Rocker Stoppers for some years with great success - made many otherwise untenable anchorages very good. Worked best in situations where the wind would die out overnight and boat would turn sideways to the swell. No issues with the load on the poles or topping lifts.

Downside was they took up quite a bit of storage space - had thought a flat hinged style might be better, but didn't try. Also, after some years the plastic of the Davis units cracked a lot and have done without them for many years now.

Regarding running birds off the poles downwind, never tried it but seems the drag would outweigh any advantage and the load on the fore-guys would be too much.  With twin poles and the jib and balooner being in the headfoil you'll find downwind rolling is minimal, as compared with, say, a conventional spinnaker. If there is some roll you can tack downwind thru about 45 degrees without adjusting a thing, rather than heading DDW.

Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN#68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote :

Ciao all... I am in the final stages of getting a SM and for my first question on this form, I had a silly one.... anyone try using some kind of flopper stopper from the jib/code 0 poles at anchor? Are the supports/uphaul strong enough for this? Even dumber question, anyone try running birds off the poles while sailing downwind to control rolling?

Many thanks!

Davi

Paul Osterberg

Davi
We use a big bucket with a rubber flap in the bottom of the bucket in which I have made a lot of holes. when not in use as a flopper stopper, it hangs on the solar gantry and we store fruits and onions in it, it works great for that as eventual water do not stay in the bucket.
it works ok as a flopper stopper, but i think a triangular shaped plywood board with a small lead weight would be better as larger surface and rellatively easy to store.
Will probably manufacture one later.
Concerning rolling going down wind it's much less that one can expect, on our Atlantic crossing we run pooled out Genoa and Balooner for 6-7 days and the rolling was not a big issue, on the contrary very comfortable, and easy to furl when encounter squalls.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259