Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Predict Wind

karkauai

I use the Standard version.  If I were racing, I'd use the Pro version.  It would be nice to see the currents, but certainly not necessary.  Predict wind has free Gulf Stream information that I look at before sailing on the east coast of the US.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Courtney Gorman

Perfect Thanks Kent!

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Nov 20, 2017 10:41 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Predict Wind

I use the Standard version.  If I were racing, I'd use the Pro version.  It would be nice to see the currents, but certainly not necessary.  Predict wind has free Gulf Stream information that I look at before sailing on the east coast of the US.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>

I'm using the standard version and it has served me well. When you are offshore, you will have very slow data download and subsequently you will automatically try to limit the information that you receive to the necessary minimum.
Alex
NO STRESS
AMEL54 # 15

On Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:55:36 AM GMT-4, Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Perfect Thanks Kent!

To: amelyachtowners Sent: Mon, Nov 20, 2017 10:41 am

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Courtney Gorman

Thanks Alex

To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Nov 20, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm using the standard version and it has served me well. When you are offshore, you will have very slow data download and subsequently you will automatically try to limit the information that you receive to the necessary minimum.
Alex
NO STRESS
AMEL54 # 15

On Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:55:36 AM GMT-4, Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Perfect Thanks Kent!

From: Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi All,
Any consensus on average cell tower range while sailing off the coast of Florida. I'm going on a short trip North and was wondering if I could get a Predictwind update en route. Not critical just wondering.

Thx,
Chuck
s/v Joy
SM388

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Alex Ramseyer alexramseyer@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alex
NO STRESS
AMEL54 # 15

On Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:55:36 AM GMT-4, Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Perfect Thanks Kent!

From: Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

I use the Standard version.  If I were racing, I'd use the Pro version.  It would be nice to see the currents, but certainly not necessary.  Predict wind has free Gulf Stream information that I look at before sailing on the east coast of the US.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Andy Buxford

A few years ago the newspapers reported on a village near Dover who
were regularly finding themselves using the French cellular network
(and hence incurring roaming charges).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21739029

Dover to Calais is where the English Channel is narrowest, about 22 miles.

Hence, if Floridian cellular transmission is as good as the French, I
would expect about that kind of range offshore. Perhaps 25?

I'm sure if you were to post to www.cruisersforum.com, though, you
would find Floridian sailors with practical experience.

Andy.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Chuck Lacey clacey9@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Any consensus on average cell tower range while sailing off the coast of
Florida. I'm going on a short trip North and was wondering if I could get a
Predictwind update en route. Not critical just wondering.

Porter McRoberts

Completely agree with Kent. 

Porter. 

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Nov 20, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Perfect Thanks Kent!

From: Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

Craig Briggs

Chuck,
Just came down a few weeks ago from Cape Fear to Ft. Pierce - got spotty unusable signals about 12 miles offshore of Canaveral. 4G didn't kick in reliably until about 5 miles off as we closed on Ft. Pierce. Using T-Mobile.
Cheers, Craig SN#68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <clacey9@...> wrote :

Hi All,
Any consensus on average cell tower range while sailing off the coast of Florida. I'm going on a short trip North and was wondering if I could get a Predictwind update en route. Not critical just wondering.

Thx,
Chuck
s/v Joy 
SM388

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Alex Ramseyer alexramseyer@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alex
NO STRESS
AMEL54 # 15

On Monday, November 20, 2017, 11:55:36 AM GMT-4, Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com> wrote:

Perfect Thanks Kent!

From: Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com>

I use the Standard version.  If I were racing, I'd use the Pro version.  It would be nice to see the currents, but certainly not necessary.  Predict wind has free Gulf Stream information that I look at before sailing on the east coast of the US.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

greatketch@...

For us it depends on the density of towers on shore.  With iPhones and verizon when approaching an urban area we normally see our first signals 10 to 15 miles offshore.  But not always able to count on it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
For Lauderdale, FL

karkauai

I rarely see cell signal good enough to get more that text or email when more than a few mikes offshore.
Kent