From: sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Nov 23, 2017 6:30 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Cautionary Turbo Tale

Pat,

Please check on what I'm about to write yourself since I'm not much of a mechanic.

Oil in the Intercooler Air Duct is not necessarily an indication of an oil leak in the Turbo.  On my Yanmar there is a breather tube connected to the valve cover and to the air filter.  The intent is that when pressure in the crankcase increases it is relieved by the breather tube.  Pressure is caused by heat increasing the air pressure inside the crankcase, but mostly from "blow by", which are the gases that leak out of the combustion chamber.

These gasses contains some hydrocarbons, and instead of letting it drip under the engine the tube directs it to the air intake.  If there is a lot of oil, that's not a good thing.  If there is some evidence of oil streaking, or the intercooler is a bit wet with oi l, that's normal.  The amount of "blow by" is proportional to the condition of the piston rings, valve seats, etc.  A worn out engine will have more "blow by" than a new one.

Of course, it could also be an oil leak in the turbo...

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

Pat,

Does the breather line (usually a rubber hose attached to the top of the valve cover) go to the air cleaner that feeds the turbo?

Duane

Patrick McAneny

Duane, No there is no hose from the air cleaner. My air cleaner , if that is what you call it , is a empty vessel with no filter element in it . I don't know if it should have a filter and its missing or what.
Pat
SM#123

Does the breather line (usually a rubber hose attached to the top of the valve cover) go to the air cleaner that feeds the turbo?

Duane

Hello Boys,

There is no filter on my air cleaner, just an inverted basket to stop nuts and bolts from entering the turbo… my previous boat almohad a TDM 22 and no filter there either.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007
Panama.