[Amel Yacht Owners] Depth of life raft locker

Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard.

As a suggestion only… I modified the port rail to accept a Hard cased life raft.  Took the design from the Amel 54. This decision came after I tried to lift out the LR from its storage; I guarantee you cannot lift it out .. well perhaps Schwartzie could do it.

You have to rig a halyard to the main boom and you winch… a whole lot of faffing about as your boat disappears from under your feet.

In my case, I simply release the LR from its holder.

Just a thought.

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM007
Panama.

On 26 Nov 2017, at 10:45, isaac_02906@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I am fairly new to the forum and very new to Amel ownership having just purchased SM #391 in FLL.  I don't have access to the boat just yet, but would like to know the depth of the port side locker so I can begin looking into a life raft replacement that will fit in that locker.

Thanks to all for this great resource!

Mark Isaac
SM #391
Ft. Lauderdale

karkauai

Congratulations Mark on your new Amel.  I can't tell you the depth of the locker as I am not on the boat, but it is close to 4 feet.  I just bought a 6-man Switlik that weighs about 60 lbs and is a considerably smaller package than my old Datrex raft.  I'm 70 years old now and don't think I'd have any problem yanking it out with adrenaline pumping.  It is very close to the extra mizzen halyard if necessary.
I don't like having large equipment hanging outside the lifelines.
Kent
SN243
Kristy

Hello All,

I am fairly new to the forum and very new to Amel ownership having just purchased SM #391 in FLL.  I don't have access to the boat just yet, but would like to know the depth of the port side locker so I can begin looking into a life raft replacement that will fit in that locker.

Thanks to all for this great resource!

Mark Isaac
SM #391
Ft. Lauderdale

James Cromie

Do any of you own a viking raft?  The off-shore version weighs in at 80 lbs.  Though I could lift this out, I doubt my wife could do that if I were incapacitated… However, it appears to be the only self-righting raft out there .

James

On Nov 27, 2017, at 2:00 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Congratulations Mark on your new Amel.  I can't tell you the depth of the locker as I am not on the boat, but it is close to 4 feet.  I just bought a 6-man Switlik that weighs about 60 lbs and is a considerably smaller package than my old Datrex raft.  I'm 70 years old now and don't think I'd have any problem yanking it out with adrenaline pumping.  It is very close to the extra mizzen halyard if necessary.
I don't like having large equipment hanging outside the lifelines.
Kent
SN243
Kristy

Ian Park

James
We have a Viking Ocean self righting Liferaft. Bought specifically for that attribute.
Our Santorin already had the liferaft mounted on the aft deck, jest behind the mizzen mast. I thought of moving it to the rail like the 54, but decided that if the worst happened then we would be awash in the cockpit in the best place to deploy it.
I didn’t consider the life raft locker. I didn’t fancy the juggle on the side deck to extricate it.
I can still store my dinghy over the liferaft (the transom slots in between the mast and the raft! But I do have to deflate the front tube to keep it out of the way of the mizzen mainsheet. It only goes there on long passages to keep the foredeck clear.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96