Topics

Solar Panel Location

Mark Isaac

Hello All,

I am considering adding solar to our SM and would like to know where members of the group have placed their panels and how they feel about their choice.  Ours does not currently have an arch, but we are willing to add one should that be the best location.  It looks like at least a few in the group have nice, clean installations using Atlantic Towers, and any feedback about their product and working with them would be appreciated.

Mark
SM #391
Ft. Lauderdale

Paul Osterberg

Hello Mark
We have 450 w solar panels on an Arc from Emek marine, works great, I added 2x100 watt on the rail and 2x100 watt flexible panels on the Bimini. Now we have two groups 450 and 400 watt, we are very pleased with the setup.
Considering adding 2x100 watt flexible panels on top of the spray hood.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

greatketch@...

Mark,

We used an Atlantic Tower arch to hold two 315W Panasonic panels.  It worked well, and we are happy with the result.  We are currently at Lauderdale Marine Center if you wanted to stop over and see, you would be welcome.

I liked the Atlantic Arch because of its light weight.  Installation of the arch was a two day project. Another day or two for the panel install.

On my old boat I had panels on the rail.  On my way east from Hawaii I ran into a “bit of weather”. We took a wave across the boat that threw green water against the back side of the leeward side panel, which were folded down.  The panels were fine, but the rail  they were attached to sutained significant damage. That experience has made my leery of rail mounted panels.

Bill Kinney
sM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mark Isaac

Thanks to all for your input on solar panel location as well as your experience with Atlantic Towers and Emek.  Bill, I would welcome the opportunity to see your installation.  I'll be back in FLL tomorrow mid morning until Tuesday evening.  Please email me when you have a moment at isaac_zero two nine zero six at yahoo.

sjeukendrup@...

4 off standard size solar panels 200 watt each + MPPT regulator TRISTAR 24 / 60 AMP generate 8A at 24V.

 Best regards, Stefan Jeukendrup