[Amel Yacht Owners] Solar Panel Location

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mark

Before our first ocean crossing in 2009 we fitted two panels clamped to the rail port side just aft of the cockpit. There is no need for props or braces

 They are about 1/3 inside the rail 2/3 out. The clamps have hand wheel nuts that allow easy tightening and loosening. This makes it quick and easy to put them in an upright position when docking or in confined spaces. In over 40,000 sea miles in all sort of conditions we have never had an issue with seas striking them.

When we fitted them we had no time to use other options so we put them on the rail and decided that if it was not convenient or effective we would shift them to an alternative, It has proved to be very satisfactory and we have no need or desire to move them.

In 2009 the general wisdom on the Amel forum was that big arches put too much weight on the stern and the SM structure was not designed  for the loads of arches . Now the arches seem to be the number one fashion statement. (grin).

Any way we are happy with what we have, but we are ocean wallopers not marina animals.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 30 November 2017 at 03:33 "isaac_02906@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I am considering adding solar to our SM and would like to know where members of the group have placed their panels and how they feel about their choice.  Ours does not currently have an arch, but we are willing to add one should that be the best location.  It looks like at least a few in the group have nice, clean installations using Atlantic Towers, and any feedback about their product and working with them would be appreciated.

Mark

Ft. Lauderdale

thomas.kleman <no_reply@...>

Hey Danny- we are just about to fit 210 w solar panels on our rails port and starboard using your 1/3 in 2/3 out approach with a similar hardware configuration. Just wondering how big your panels are that require no additional bracing ? We are designing and purchasing things away from the boat (not optimal, but necessary).

Also, we're looking at several wiring diagrams and have seen a lot of different setups (i.e. fusing both before and after the MPPT controller, on-off toggle for power, ammeter location, etc. Anything you learned from wiring this would be appreciated.

Tom and Kirstin
L'ORIENT
SM2K # 422

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Tom and Kirstin,

My panels are 130 watt if I remember correctly, it was 8 years ago. I posted photos on the forum so you should be able to find them. If not I will photo again, but not immediately. If you can I advise putting them both on the Port side. They do restrict access down the side deck slightly and I think it best to limit this to one side. If you put them one each side I think you would find that irritating. Because I was considering changing to a different location I ran the wiring down a rail upright, across the deck and up and over at the back of the cockpit into the large port cockpit locker. Cable tied the wires to the base of the mizzen stay. From there I drilled through into the small locker and through to where the mizzen wiring goes and thence back to the front of the battery compartment to a solar panel controller, and then to the batteries.

The intention was to do  a more standard process of drilling through the deck etc later. BUT, the wiring is so unobtrusive and effective I have left is as is. It is a long run so use appropriate cabling size. Because you can get sun and no wind and wind and no sun I also have a "super wind" 350 watt wind generator on top of the mizzen. This is an expensive German unit with self feathering blades capable of withstanding very high winds. Very happy with both systems.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 30 November 2017 at 08:54 "thomas.kleman" <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hey Danny- we are just about to fit 210 w solar panels on our rails port and starboard using your 1/3 in 2/3 out approach with a similar hardware configuration. Just wondering how big your panels are that require no additional bracing ? We are designing and purchasing things away from the boat (not optimal, but necessary).

Also, we're looking at several wiring diagrams and have seen a lot of different setups (i.e. fusing both before and after the MPPT controller, on-off toggle for power, ammeter location, etc. Anything you learned from wiring this would be appreciated.

Tom and Kirstin
L'ORIENT
SM2K # 422

Patrick McAneny

Mark, I met with them at the Annapolis show and spoke with them once or twice when ordering and they were fine , helpful.  They now have sold several to Amel owners and know which one to sell you. It comes in a box and is easy to assemble / install , I think total time start to finish was maybe eight hours . Would have been a little less , but I chose to several inches off the tubes to lessen the height . I built my own solar frame and installed three panels , they are out of the way and are never in a shadow . I incorporated davits into my S.S. frame and it has been great to haul the dinghy for trips between the islands.
Good Luck,
Pat SM #123

From: isaac_02906@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners Sent: Wed, Nov 29, 2017 9:33 am

Hello All,

I am considering adding solar to our SM and would like to know where members of the group have placed their panels and how they feel about their choice.  Ours does not currently have an arch, but we are willing to add one should that be the best location.  It looks like at least a few in the group have nice, clean installations using Atlantic Towers, and any feedback about their product and working with them would be appreciated.

Mark
SM #391
Ft. Lauderdale

paul schofield <pwschofield@...>

I installed an almost identical configuration as Mark did on Trillium.  An Atlantic tower arch, davits, solar mounts with two LG310 watt panels from Platt Electric.

https://m.platt.com/platt-electric-supply/Solar-Modules/Monocrystalline-60-Cell/Products.aspx?cid=6257

Also installed two Victron charge controllers, one for each panel.  Working good so far.

I agree that i'll need some form of sway control on the arch, even with the schedule 80 aluminum tubing.

Paul
Trillium SM 215