[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bow Thruster Travel Adjustment

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Paul,

It is correctly adjusted if you have to pull the wire to raise it about 10mm.

About 11 years ago I discussed the adjustment of the wire with the Amel Service Manager in the Caribbean...he said, "don't touch it."

All,

Remember that there are about 3 or 4 versions of the Amel Bow Thruster on the SN and SM. Advice from one owner pertaining to one version may screw up another version. Be careful.

Yesterday I was helping a SM owner and client of mine with a SM in the high 200s. The Thruster propeller shaft had a small dent where the seal meets the shaft. We were using the new spec 29mm seal. It leaked at the dent. We had a machine shop make a stainless steel sleeve for a 30mm shaft and seal it to the damaged shaft. $140USD for the custom sleeve and fitting it to the shaft including pick up and delivery on the same day.

Sometimes you have to improvise 😊

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Dec 6, 2017 19:32, "pstas2003" <no_reply@...> wrote:

Tom,

Thank you for your response.

I have been using the cable grab method to insert the pin, but what is the procedure to adjust the lift mechanism?

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Cruising St. Lucia

www.RitaKathryn.com

pstas2003 <no_reply@...>

Thank you to all who responded.  I'm going to leave the adjustment as is and continue to use the cable grab method for inserting the pin.  It makes sense to me to keep the tension off the cables and on the pin.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Cruising St. Lucia

www.RitaKathryn.com

Ryan Meador

My SM does not have the off switch in front of the pin, and does have the little locking post that keeps the pin in.  I thought the off switch was added with the SM2K.

Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA