[Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge Pump Quit

Dan Carlson

Ken, what was your resolution on your bilge pump?

I've just had the same issue on SM 387 (must be that hot weather in Trinidad!)

Thanks and regards, Dan Carlson, sv BeBe

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM, Ken Powers sailingaquarius@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

Any Help Will be appreciated!

Our bilge pump was running for what seemed a long time.  So I went down to see what was up.  I found the motor running, but not pumping.  The motor drive a plastic gear that broke.

Does anyone know where I can get this part, or maybe I have to get a new bilge pump.  :)

Thanks in advance,

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K #262
In Trinidad Crews Inn

Mark Erdos

At one point, I think Amel had these in stock. Have you checked with Maud?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Martinique

www.creampuff.us

Ken, what was your resolution on your bilge pump?

I've just had the same issue on SM 387 (must be that hot weather in Trinidad!)

Thanks and regards, Dan Carlson, sv BeBe

Any Help Will be appreciated!

Our bilge pump was running for what seemed a long time.  So I went down to see what was up.  I found the motor running, but not pumping.  The motor drive a plastic gear that broke.

Does anyone know where I can get this part, or maybe I have to get a new bilge pump.  :)

Thanks in advance,

Ken Powers

Aquarius SM2K #262

In Trinidad Crews Inn

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>

Hello Mark,

My plan was to buy a Rule 2000 and use it while I figured out how to fix the old one.  But, after meeting... (and sailing with) several Amel owners, I have decided to KEEP the Rule 2000 and carry a spare.  This is currently working well, but will clean up the plumbing.  The old Bilge pump would have cost several hundred dollars to fix, and still old technology.  Sometimes you have to change to the new technology because it's too expensive to keep up the old.

Ken
Aquarius
SM2K 262
Currently in Panama (Shelter Island Marina)

[...]

James Studdart

Hi,
We bought one for around 130 euro from Amel about 6 months ago. It is expensive for what it is. I can’t imagine a replacement pump that works for a decade and a half is cheap either! It was fairly easy to replace once we had the part.

Cheers,
James.
SV SeaBean
SM#344

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:41 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

My 2 cents: My bilge pump has lasted about 17 years now. I don’t consider it old technology, but old faithful. IMHO, you get what you pay for.

I carry a rebuild kit including the plastic wheel. I also have a complete spare (new).

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Martinique

www.creampuff.us

Ken, what was your resolution on your bilge pump?

I've just had the same issue on SM 387 (must be that hot weather in Trinidad!)

Thanks and regards, Dan Carlson, sv BeBe

Any Help Will be appreciated!

Our bilge pump was running for what seemed a long time.  So I went down to see what was up.  I found the motor running, but not pumping.  The motor drive a plastic gear that broke.

Does anyone know where I can get this part, or maybe I have to get a new bilge pump.  :)

Thanks in advance,

Ken Powers

Aquarius SM2K #262

In Trinidad Crews Inn

JOHN HAYES

As a safety measure we have installed a second bilge pump mounted above the first so that if the first stops working and we don’t immediately notice, the second will cut in and take over the job (hopefully). In fact we had that happen recently and the system works well.

Xmas greetings to one and all

John Hayes

Nga Waka

Wellington