[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel Santorin Propeller Question

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Lisa, The strange coppery clour is the the correct ATF oil. Thats its colour and less than a litre is correct.

Danny SM 299 )cean Pearl

On 18 December 2017 at 05:15 "lisallt2@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Update: changed the gearbox oil as a precaution even though it was just changed 1 month ago in Le Marin. Less than a liter drained out. Also, it had a strange, coppery look to it. Ran engine oil through a couple of times and topped it up. Will need to test against wind and waves but hoping this resolves the issue.

Lisa Tharpe
S/V Azimuth
Amel Santorin #143

Herbert Lackner

hi gang, 

now as the discussion is about ATF  - I was wondering if it has to be ATF Type A as required by Hurth.  As Type A is not very common anymore is it ok to use any ATF Dexron 2 or 3 (what is available in every shop)? What specification can replace the Type A?

thx, herbert
SN120 KALI MERA, Panama Shelter Bay

Mark Erdos

Dextron II or III will work and are recommended by Hurth

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Martinique

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 3:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel Santorin Propeller Question

hi gang, 

now as the discussion is about ATF  - I was wondering if it has to be ATF Type A as required by Hurth.  As Type A is not very common anymore is it ok to use any ATF Dexron 2 or 3 (what is available in every shop)? What specification can replace the Type A?

thx, herbert
SN120 KALI MERA, Panama Shelter Bay

greatketch@...

You would THINK that would be a simple question.... but the various types of ATF are overlapping and insanely complex...

If you want an idea of how messy this topic is:  

My Hurth repair manual goes no further than saying "Automatic Transmission Fluid".  I have used Dextron II without problems.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Herbert Lackner

my Hurth repair manual explicitely says ATF Type A, so I tried to find out what would be the best to replace Type A (I will run out of stock soon). I made some research and found out that this topic is heavily discussed by some gurus...   I found a recommendation for Dexron 2 Type D that would replace it for the Hurth gearbox (in moderate climate). 

On the other hand, Dexron should be "downward compatible", but there seem to be some problems with sealings when higher Dexron numbers are used...

I will switch to Dexron II type D when my Type A stock is gone :-)

herbert
SN120

Ian Park

Just to add, mine having been replaced fairly recently I was told dexron type 2. So that’s what I’ve used and it is fine. It’s a Hurth 250.
Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

PS glad to hear from a few more Santorin!

James Alton

Herbert,

I agree with you and Bill that ATF fluids are becoming a bit confusing.  Just to add a bit more information or possibly confusion...  FoleyEngines who sells new and rebuilt Hurth transmissions is recommending the use of a synthetic ATF fluid such as the Mobil 1 or Red Line which I have not used before.    Foley also btw manufactures a stainless cooler to replace the original aluminum one that seems to corrode a bit too fast.  The stainless unit is supposed to be much larger than the aluminum which is perhaps needed since stainless is not as conductive as the aluminum.   If interested, the Foley information is available at:  https://www.foleyengines.com/products/marine-transmissions/.  I do not have any affiliation with Foley but I am planning to order one of the SS coolers.

James
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Dec 17, 2017, at 5:33 PM, herbert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

my Hurth repair manual explicitely says ATF Type A, so I tried to find out what would be the best to replace Type A (I will run out of stock soon). I made some research and found out that this topic is heavily discussed by some gurus...   I found a recommendation for Dexron 2 Type D that would replace it for the Hurth gearbox (in moderate climate).  

On the other hand, Dexron should be "downward compatible", but there seem to be some problems with sealings when higher Dexron numbers are used...

I will switch to Dexron II type D when my Type A stock is gone :-)

herbert
SN120

greatketch@...

For what it is worth... I'd go with what Foley says... They know their stuff...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL