Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Hurth Transmissions freewheeling folding prop

John Clark

Ian,
  Some early SMs also have the shaft alternator.  I have used it extensively for the last year.  The previous owner sailed around the world with trans in neutral to make use of the alternator.  So far with 4500 hrs on engine and trans we are running fine.
Also have fixed blade prop. Hurth Z25 trans and TAMD22.

John

SV Annie. SM37
St. Augustine.

On Dec 18, 2017 7:41 PM, "Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There are some Maramus and Santorins out there that benefit greatly from the prop shaft alternator. The only time I engage reverse with the engine off is to ensure the prop shaft alternator is off prior to startup of the engine. I only engage forward when the engine is on and I want to go forward.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN6

Ian Park

John
I didn’t know it was continued into the earlier SMs. I am quite happy with a bit of drag to get all the amps back in the batteries under sail.
I have about the same engine hours as you.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96
Marigot Bay

smiles bernard

Hello
I have yet to test out my maramu prop shaft alternator. I’m hoping to this week though.
Am I right in assuming I put the gear into neutral to allow the prop to freewheel then switch on the alternator charging ?
Simple as that?
To stop just engage the gear to stop the prop from turning then turn off the alternator?
Many thanks in advance
Miles

On 21 Dec 2017, at 17:08, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

John
I didn’t know it was continued into the earlier SMs. I am quite happy with a bit of drag to get all the amps back in the batteries under sail..
I have about the same engine hours as you.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96
Marigot Bay

Ian Park

Miles
Correct. Leave engine in neutral. Your keys should be on a welded ring. Take keys from ignition and switch on prop alternator key. Green light should show charging. To stop turn off and extract key. Green light may still show charging. Stop by putting gears into reverse. Into neutral and start engine.
Don’t know what size your alternator is. Mine is a 50amp. It only puts a couple of amps in until I’m over 5 knots then it starts producing. Crossed the Atlantic with batteries at 100% all the way - all on the prop alternator.
Have fun.
Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

smiles bernard

Thanks Ian.
I had wondered about that welded ring. My boat has been re engined but I guess this is to stop running the engine and prop shaft alternator together! Smart.
Many thanks for the info
I’m not sure what size my alternator is yet but looking fwd to trying it out.
I hope it works as well as yours did 😊

All the very best

Miles