SSB Grounding/Earthing

danielmfrey63@...

Hello

I have installed an Icom M801E on my Santorin. My setting: The Transceiver is at the navigation table, the tuner in the Lazarette, the ground plate in the skeg plus a whip antenna.

The Transceiver is connected with the tuner via control cable and an antenna cable.

The control cable has on both ends small earthing wires, which connect to the Transceiver earthing point resp. to the tuner earthing point.

The tuner is connected/earthed to copper piece in the Lazarett.

Have you additionally earthed the Transceiver with a yellow/green cable? If yes, where does it go to? To the ground plate / the copper in the Lazarette which goes to the ground plate in the skeg? Or, if yes, does it go to the tuner?

Thanks for Your advice.

Best - Daniel

SY HEUREKA (SN 64), Kuşadası (Turkey)

Alan Leslie

Hello Daniel,
It seems to me that in addition to those little wires you speak of, you need a solid grounding wire between the transceiver and the ground plane connection in the lazarette.

Look at the diagram on page 49 of your manual

Page 51 says :

The transceiver and antenna tuner MUST have an adequate RF ground connection. Otherwise, the overall efficiency of the transceiver and antenna tuner installation will be reduced. Electrolysis, electrical shocks and interference from other equipment could also occur. For best results, use 50 or 75 mm (2 or 3 inches) wide copper strap and make the connection as short as possible. Ground the transceiver and antenna tuner to one ground point, otherwise the voltage difference (in RF level) between 2 ground points may cause electrolysis.

In our SM the yellow/green cable from the lazarette ran all the way to the nav station. When we installed our Icom 710, we disconnected this cable at the nav station and connected it to the transceiver ground....at the other end we cut the cable and connected both ends to the tuner, which is connected to the copper strap in the lazarette.

This is NOT the bonding that the saltwater pumps etc are connected to.

VERY important thing is that you use ISOLATED power to your transceiver because inside the ICOM, the -ve power line is connected to ground.
Your SN is a 12v system I think (?), if so and you have the power directly from the breaker, you need a relay in the 12 v -ve line that disconnects it from the transceiver when the power is off - you need to turn it off at the breaker, not just the transceiver.
If you have 24V then you need an ISOLATED 24-12v converter, or a relay in the 24V-ve feed to your 24-12v converter for the reasons above.
If you don't isolate that -ve power line, it will lead to electrolytic corrosion issues.
Good luck
Happy New Year
Alan
Elyse SM437

danielmfrey63@...

Hi Alan

Thx a lot for Your explanations. That were exactly the informations I needed.

Please allow three more questions:

- do you have Pictures by any chance of Your wiring in the Lazarett?
- the AMEL pre-installed wire from the nav table to the Lazarett on my SN is a "big fat" one. How did you mecanically attache it to tiny small screw of the tuner?
- yes, the SN is a 12V system. Can you give me some guidance towards the "relay" I have to look for. I have experience at all with relays.

Again, thank you very much for Your time and for sharing Your Knowledge.

Best - Daniel

Alan Leslie

Hello Daniel,
-Sorry no pictures...
-I attached the fat wire to the tuner ground using a normal crimp terminal - yellow one with a small ring.
-Just a standard automotive relay - needs to be rated at least 30A. Wire the 12v-ve lead to one side of the Normally open contact and the 12v-ve to the  transceiver to the other side of that contact and power the coil from the 12+ve lead from the cct breaker.
I'll post a diagram.
12v -ve goes to 85 and 30
12v -ve to your transceiver to 87
12v +ve from the SSB cct breaker to 86
switch the cct breaker off when not using the SSB
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

danielmfrey63@...