[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Weigh carrying capacity of SM

Beaute Olivier

Hello Kent and Bill,

overloading a vessel not only changes its stability but also brings more power into the structure and masts/rigging.
A big overload could result in stringers/bulkheads breaking when the vessel hits the waves in heavy conditions, possibly breaking shrouds strands too.
The Super Maramu has a light displacement of 15.3 tons (with masts, sails, running rigging, some mooring lines and fenders). The tanks (water and fuel) take 1.5 tons.
You should not load with more than 2.5 tons (including crew and life-raft...).

Stay safe and have all a happy new year!

Olivier

On Monday, December 25, 2017 6:46 PM, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Kent,

I suspect when you describe your boat's current waterline status you are looking at the painted waterline on the hull.  That is not the waterline as drawn for the boat on her design drawings.

When we picked up Harmonie she was almost empty of gear.  I saw the painted waterline was significantly higher at the bow then the stern. About 3 inches if my memory is correct.  This struck me as very odd for an unloaded boat.  So I measured the distance from the water to the gunwale at bow and stern and compared to the architects drawing.  She was spot on her correct fore and aft trim as per the drawing.

Take away lesson:  The painted waterline is not necessarily where she should sit!  If you were to load our boat until the water at the bow was even with the painted line, you would have water at the top of the bowthruster well, and maybe over it!  Note that I have NOT done this measurement on ANY other Amel.  It is possible it only applies to #160.  Amel might have changed the painted waterlines at other times, or a previous owner might have changed yours!

I do not know if Amel painted the waterline higher at the bow on our boat as an aesthetic thing, or just got it wrong, but it's definitely not where the boat should sit in the water.

As for how much you can carry...

A Super Maramu has a LWL of 41.3 feet, a Waterline Beam of about 14.5 feet...
A SM has a LWL Area of (very roughly) 0.67 *41.3* 14.5 ~ 400 sq feet
So to sink her a extra inch overall will take 400 * 5.33 ~ 2,100 lbs or close to one ton.
That's actually a pretty conservative number for a SM because as she settles deeper her LWL becomes a bit longer.

So how deep you can take her...  I don't have a good answer.

If loaded so the heavy stuff was down as low as possible and not concentrated at the ends of the boat, I'd guess two inches (two tons) would be a conservative number.

Carrying that much weight as "deck cargo" would certainly reduce the stability of the boat. But I have no idea if it would be dangerous because I don't know her designed center of gravity or metacentric height.  For a real answer I think you'll have to talk to a naval architect, or ask Amel.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to take the money you would spend on the fuel for that trip and donate it to have the material shipped commercially to the nearest working port.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Key West, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hi all.
We are going to carry supplies to Caribbean from Ft Lauderdale to hurricane stricken islands this winter. I'm wondering how much weight I can take on safely. Loaded with all our supplies and provisions, Kristy sits about 1 1/2 inches above the original waterline in the stern, and 4 inches above waterline at the bow.

Can I load her to that waterline? If I go above it, the engine and generator exhausts will be below the water. That doesn't seem like a good idea. If that is ok, what other considerations are important if I load her another inch or more above the waterline?

I was going to carry one pallet (40" x 40" x48") on the foreword cabintop and another one or two broken down below decks as carrying capacity allows. I don't know the weight of the pallets yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks andMerry Christmas!
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Also to add to Olivier’s comment: Helvetia/De Lassee insurance contrat says that if the boat is overload they will void the insurance…

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Weigh carrying capacity of SM
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 1:34 PM

25, 2017 6:46 PM, "greatketch@yahoo.com

deeper her LWL becomes a bit longer. (Ref:  http://www.tedbrewer.com/yachtdesign.html)

amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, <karkauai@...> wrote
:

[...]

karkauai

Thank you Olivier, that's exactly what I wanted to know.  It looks like I can safely carry ~1250 lbs of supplies over my cruising gear and provisions.  A bit disappointing, but want to be safe and take care of my Kristy.

Happy Holidays to you and the rest of our Amel family.

Kent
S/V Kristy SM243
Hello Kent and Bill,

overloading a vessel not only changes its stability but also brings more power into the structure and masts/rigging.
A big overload could result in stringers/bulkheads breaking when the vessel hits the waves in heavy conditions, possibly breaking shrouds strands too.
The Super Maramu has a light displacement of 15.3 tons (with masts, sails, running rigging, some mooring lines and fenders). The tanks (water and fuel) take 1.5 tons.
You should not load with more than 2.5 tons (including crew and life-raft...).

Stay safe and have all a happy new year!

Olivier

karkauai

Thanks, Alexandre.  I won't exceed the limits Olivier recommended.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy SM 243

On Dec 27, 2017, at 16:08, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Also to add to Olivier’s comment: Helvetia/De Lassee insurance contrat says that if the boat is overload they will void the insurance…

Sincerely, Alexandre

Alexandre Uster von Baar

I am just saying that to be on the safe side as, reading my insurance contrat, this is 1 think they mentioned.
Of course if you are only 2 and the boat is made for 8, this is lots of weight saving!

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, December 28, 2017, 12:14 PM

16:08, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
wrote:

Also to add to Olivier’s comment: Helvetia/De
Lassee insurance contrat says that if the boat is overload
they will void the insurance…

Sincerely, Alexandre

Craig Briggs

Kent, I should think you could also trade off, say 1500 pounds of water (use your water maker as needed) and several hundred pounds of fuel (sail more) and easily get another ton of cargo whilst staying in the safe weight range.
HNY to you and Captain Iris,
 Craig and Katherine

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Thanks, Alexandre.  I won't exceed the limits Olivier recommended.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy SM 243

On Dec 27, 2017, at 16:08, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Also to add to Olivier’s comment: Helvetia/De Lassee insurance contrat says that if the boat is overload they will void the insurance…

Sincerely, Alexandre

Alexandre Uster von Baar

For the story, when I left Florida 3 years ago to go back to the Bahamas, I had 22 cases of red wine, 3 cases of champagne, etc.
Since I didn’t want to be overweight, I only put 150 liter of water in the tank out of the 1000.

One could legitimately argue the weight was not as well positioned as if it was water.

Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, December 29, 2017, 6:50 PM

wrote:

 Also to
add to Olivier’s comment: Helvetia/De Lassee insurance
contrat says that if the boat is overload they will void the
insurance…

Sincerely, Alexandre

Craig Briggs

Alexandre,
Perhaps less well positioned, but an excellent choice nonetheless!
Cheers, Craig

To: amelyachtowners@...