Inverter Replacement

Ian Shepherd

Crusader is fitted with a Cristec 1600VA 50Hz inverter which has just failed. Having taken it out and examined it briefly, it would seem that there is damage to one of the relays and evidence of burnt tracks on one of the PCB's. Cristec will repair the unit by replacing both the PCB's but to do so will cost around €1050 including shipping. The 1600VA model is no longer available. A 2000VA model costs €1528 plus VAT at 20%.

I shall probably send it back for repair, but before doing so I am wondering if there are any recommendations for a good cheaper alternative? You can get a 2KW inverter for less than $400 on eBay, but I would expect that they might be electrically very noisy and the sine wave not so 'pure' as is claimed, which could cause equipment damage.

Does anyone recommend a cheaper alternative that will not cause interference to laptops, SSB, Navtex etc?

With thanks

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Larnaca Cyprus

greatketch@...

Ian,

We installed a Victron inverter/charger that we have been very happy with--so far.  No noticable electrical noise, low idle current draw.  They make a full line of chargers, inverters, solar controllers, and such.  Nothing onboard has complained about the quality of power.  It is pretty sophisticated, and the charger and inverter functions are highly configurable.

The are a Dutch company, so I assume they are widely available in the EU.  The 2KW inverter is about US$850 from their US outlets.

Will it last 20 years?  Come back and ask me in another 19...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Key West, Florida

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sv_freespirit@...> wrote :

[...]

John Clark

Well, I guess I am undergoing a similar evolution right now installing a whole house inverter for the first time.  I posted my wiring plan in a new topic.

I think as Bill K said most modern inverter/chargers have isolated grounds.  The unit I selected (MagnaSine 4124, had an optional "system ground jumper"  that had to be disconnected to keep the inverter AC neutral separate from the chassis ground/earth/bond, but otherwise had no connections with the current carrying lines and earth.

John

SV Annie SM 37
St. Augustine.