Anchor locker floor rotten

mfmcgovern@...

James,

If the 2001 Amel SM you are looking at is located in the Netherlands and listed by Devalk Brokerage, I have been on that boat and had it "partially" surveyed by Olivier Beaute last year.  If you don't know who Olivier Beaute is, search this forum.  He is widely regarded as the most knowledgeable and experienced surveyor of Amels in the world.  I say it was "partially" surveyed because Olivier found so many issues during the first day of the survey that showed a pattern of complete neglect that my wife and I decided not bother to paying to launch the boat for a sea trial on the second day.  We had travelled to see her from the USA and paid for Olivier Beaute to come from France to complete the survey.  Despite my pleading with the broker to disclose ALL known issues to me AFTER I sent the deposit and booked the flights and the survey and after assuring the broker that I was coming over to see the boat no matter what they told me, it quickly became clear when we arrived and saw the boat that many obvious defects were not disclosed.  Needless to say, I was not pleased.  However, despite this, I did share with the brokerage the list of issues that Olivier found in the hopes that they would either be addressed or at least disclosed to future potential buyers.  None of the issues were "catastrophic" in nature but there were just so many that it showed this boat has NOT been well cared for the past several years.  Feel free to contact me offline at mfmcgovern @ gmail dot com for more information.  I will happily share the list with you as well assuming that we are talking about the same boat.  Hopefully they will have fixed some of these.

I don't want this post to come off as "sour grapes".  And I am certainly NOT trying to torpedo a deal or screw with someone who is trying to sell their boat.  I am just trying to help a fellow lover of Amels to learn from my (bad) experience.  This experience was a very valuable (albeit pricey) lesson for us but was not completely without some positives.  It solidified that we really wanted an Amel SM.  We learned a ton about the Amel SM and it's systems and what to look for in the 1.5 days that we spent with Olivier.  He is an outstanding teacher!  That education was priceless and really helped us when we finally did find our Amel SM (which we also had Olivier Beaute survey!).  Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Miles

Hi James,

This is not an unusual issue with older SMs.  In Martinique Amel has a person who specializes in the repair.  He cuts out the old floor and drops in a new perfectly fitting new one.  It is a quick and (I am told) not expensive procedure.  For those whose floors are still good, opening the front water tight compartment door whenever the boat is  left for some time, will delay or prevent the issue.  I also spray the wood floor with an anti-mold solution every year or so and the floors are solid after 19 years.

Good luck,

Miles

S/Y Ladybug, SM 216 now in Port du Marin, Martinique

Miles

HI James,

If you are serious about the boat, hiring Oliver Beauté to do a survey is a good investment as everyone on this forum seems to agree.  A boat that has not been well maintained can get very expensive very quickly.

Miles  Ladybug, sm216  Martinique

Craig Briggs

Regarding opening the chain locker door to get air circulation, we had built a mahogany louvered cover which we use when not making passage. The appearance is Amel-like and it's easy to put the solid cover back in place when needed.

(Louver notwithstanding, the floors still rotted out, but I am just about done with the replacements.)
Cheers, Craig SN68