Topics

Inverter Replacement

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Ian,

We installed the «PROsine 1800i Part # 806-1884 24V Hardwire w/ transfer relay», with «Remote Interface Panel Part # 808-1800» similar to what the Amel factory installed on Bill Rouse's boat.

Whether on or off, it makes no difference to RF noise levels on any equipment on the boat that I've noticed.  Ours has worked fine and sometimes pretty hard for 4 years... in fact back in the States we used it as 24x7 power supply when on shore power given the fact all appliances onboard (down to the toothbrushes) are 230V/50Hz.

The only downside to this inverter is that it consumes somewhere between 25w and 50w just by being turned on.  I have heard that more modern inverters are more efficient when on but not actually supplying any power... evidently this inverter design is at least 15 years old.

Cheerio,

Peregrinus
SM2K No. 350 (2002)
Herzliya, Israel

greatketch@...

Our newer generation Victron MultiPlus is a bit better at idle power draw, but not wildly so.  It has three possible modes.

One is fully on and powered up.  That uses about 20 Watts if nothing else is turned on.

There are two "search modes." One powers the circuit all the time with a distorted sine wave looking for power users, and then switches to "normal" when something draws power.  This uses about 15 Watts.

Finally is full search mode, where the output is powered up every 2 seconds or so looking for users.  If none are found, it shuts off again.  This uses about 10 Watts.

We always use the "full search" mode and have not had any problems. If we plug in a computer, it pops on right away, and and the inverter shuts itself off when we unplug it.  It has behaved "properly" with everything we have ever plugged into it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
North Bimini, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svperegrinus@...> wrote :

[...]

Duane Siegfri

We also installed the Xantrex Prosine 1800i.

It lasted one year and quit.  The error code was "contact the factory".  Xantrex replaced it promptly without waiting for the old one to come back, they just asked me to remove the serial number from it before we put it in the trash.

So factory support was excellent, but I don't have much faith in it now.  It was installed by an electrician recommended by Joel Potter (Lean Marine in Ft. Lauderdale), so I don't think that was the issue.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

greatketch@...

Strictly in the "for what it's worth" file...

I have had a number of Xantrex products over many years... and never been happy with any of them.  I found them to be short lived and fragile. Sometimes I am a slow learner.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
North Bimini, Bahamas

Duane Siegfri

Here's another experience with the Xantrex:

My original Xantrex 1800 was installed (by a professional electrician) in Dec of 2016.

It failed in July of 2017 and was replaced by the manufacturer, after only 6 months in service.

The replacement failed again today, after only 5 months of service.  During that 5 months, it has only been used to run the microwave several times per week.  Otherwise it is switched off.

I would not recommend this manufacturer for anything but the junk pile.

At this point I'm thinking about putting in a different brand altogether, even though the warranty has another 11 months.

The error code was "System Shutdown" which relates to "Overload or system hardware fault".  There were no loads connected when I switched it on.  In addition, it is only connected to the 220V breakers for "Outlets" and "Microwave", so I don't know how there could have been an overload.  The input voltage was

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Duane,

Our Prosine was also installed by Lean Marine in 2013.  I guess we are fortunate ours is OK, despite some abuse.

Best of luck with the replacement!

Peregrinus
SM2K #350