[Amel Yacht Owners] Generator charging question

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Steve;

On our 54 during the survey, we were told by Olivier not to turn both chargers on at the same time. He may have have shared the reason but I do not recall. May be Olivier can jump in and clarify. Not sure of the 54 and the SM are wired the same, but I would think that the same logic would apply.

Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

Sent: Monday, January 08, 2018 5:39 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Generator charging question

If I am running the generator just to charge the batteries, meaning I have no other load on the generator, is there a downside to engaging both the 100 amp and the 30 amp dolphin chargers? As an example, tonight I was at 88% (-71 amps) and when I engaged the “battery Gen” charger, I was putting in 45 amps, but when I added “battery shore”, I was putting in 70 amps.

My question is, why is this a bad idea? Is it a bad idea? Are there negative trade-offs to running both? Thoughts?

All the best,
Steve Morrison
SM380 TouRai
Hope Town, Abaco

Stephen Morrison <steve_morrison@...>

Thank you Mohammad. I am hoping to hear something much as you recall, an explanation as to why this should be avoided, or why, under certain circumstances perhaps, it might be fine. It would obviously reduce charging time, and therefor generator run time. 

All the best, 
Steve Morrison

On Jan 8, 2018, at 9:39 PM, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Steve;

On our 54 during the survey, we were told by Olivier not to turn both chargers on at the same time. He may have have shared the reason but I do not recall. May be Olivier can jump in and clarify. Not sure of the 54 and the SM are wired the same, but I would think that the same logic would apply.

Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

If I am running the generator just to charge the batteries, meaning I have no other load on the generator, is there a downside to engaging both the 100 amp and the 30 amp dolphin chargers? As an example, tonight I was at 88% (-71 amps) and when I engaged the “battery Gen” charger, I was putting in 45 amps, but when I added “battery shore”, I was putting in 70 amps.

My question is, why is this a bad idea? Is it a bad idea? Are there negative trade-offs to running both? Thoughts?

All the best,
Steve Morrison
SM380 TouRai
Hope Town, Abaco

greatketch@...

A reason not to run both chargers at the dock on shore power is that together they can draw a good deal more than the 16 amp rating of the shore power supply.

This only happens if the batteries are drained enough to be able to accept that much current.  But even the 100 amp charger by itself can draw over 13 amps if it is really pushing out a full rated 100 amps at 28 volts.  That doesn't give you a lot of room to run anything else. If the water heater comes on, you'll trip the breaker, for example. Hence, the reason for the smaller charger for use on shore power. 

Most of our generators have the "oomph" to run both chargers, and more.  

But remember, as the batteries start to get over about 80% charged, the rate at which they can accept amps starts to decline pretty quickly.  If your 100 amp charger is not putting out 100 amps, adding a second charger really won't help.

A lot of these problems have gone by the wayside with newer, smarter inverter/chargers which are clever enough to reduce the charging current if other things need the power.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
North Bimini, Bahamas

Alan Leslie

The SM manual says :
- when running the generator, start the big charger, wait until it settles then turn on the smaller charger.
- when on shore power only use the smaller charger. don;t use both chargers or you will trip the breaker on the slip.
I would think that would be the same for the 54.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, The SM owners manual instructs in the use of both chargers when using the gen set and only the smaller when connected to shore power. If I remember correctly you are to turn the larger on first and after a pause, the smaller. Not on the boat so can't check the manual for the order but certain of the two charger instruction.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 09 January 2018 at 15:39 "'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Steve;

Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

All the best,
Steve Morrison
SM380 TouRai
Hope Town, Abaco