Topics

Servicing Lewmar 58 winches - need help

Steve Bode

Hi everyone, This is my first email to the group! Please help!

I've serviced all my Lewmar winches on my 1994 Super Maramu except the big, electric Lewmar 58s. The service instructions I have tell me that after removing the drum, remove the screws holding the center stem to the motor base. I was unable to loosen them. Blew up a impact driver trying to do so. Left no other option, I set about trying to remove the entire winch to bring to the welder who claims he can get those pesky corroded screws out by welding a bolt to each screw and using a spanner (wrench) to remove them. So, I've removed the electric drive and flange that attaches to the drive shaft sleeve and finally, removed the nuts from the bolts that pass through the deck. But now I'm stopped.

My questions are:

Anyone else have this experience? If you have, I'm so sorry. Let's start a support group.
Is the base glued to the deck or is the sealant just like mortar?
Are there any other components holding the base to the deck?
Any suggestions for getting under the base and removing the winch?
Should I bang on the screws from underneath? drive a screw drive under the base?

Here are some pictures of my status.

Starboard winch center stem and drive base immediately after removing the drum:

Underside of the starboard electric winch:

Steve Bode
SV Intention
Amel SM117
Almerimar, Spain
Facebook.com/stevebodesanfrancisco

greatketch@...

Steve,

I feel your pain...  Unfortunately, I can not see the pictures you posted, but I have some information to transmit that you might find useful.

As Alexandre said, there is no need to remove the motors to get the winch apart for service. You just need to remove the "frame" from the base.

In the attached photo, I have highlighted the bolts that secure the frame.  The do NOT go through the deck!  They are threaded into the base.  They are NOT the bolts that held the nuts you removed from below.  Those bolts are the ones that secure the base to the deck, and can not be removed until you get the frame off.

When the proper bolts are removed the frame will lift right off.  If the bolts are stuck are stuck, and a few of mine were, heat them gently with a small torch flame.  They will back right out.  When you reassemble them, be sure to put on some Tef-gel so they don't get stuck next time.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Great Harbor Cay, Bahamas

steve_bode@...

Alexandre,
Got your picture, and understand that I should be able to remove the screws holding the center stem to the motor base. However, the center stem has not been removed (I think) ever and the bolts must be really seized. I broke a heavy-duty impact driver trying to get them out. Based on Bill's comment about a torch flame, I may buy a new impact drive and a torch and give that a shot. But I serious doubt that will do it.

Any one ever remove an Lewmar electric winch from a deck?

Steve Bode
Amel SM117