[Amel Yacht Owners] Leece Neville 175 A 24v alternator

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Nick,

There is a small relay that is connected in-line before the alternator. This relay controls the excite circuit of the alternator. One side of the relay is 12VDC from your engine...the other side of the relay is 24VDC. Your alternator needs to be excited with 24VDC.

Either there is a loose wire on the relay or in that circuit, or the relay needs replacing.

You didn't post where you are so I can't recommend a source of help.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Jan 24, 2018 12:13, "kwzy6vgkpvtfohjddjsrotobzwf2pjeafjwalhur@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have this alternator my Amel 54 number 019. I notice that it does not kick in to charge until about 1500 RPM then it kicks in and I can throttle back.

Is this normal?

If not could it be a case of the residual magnetism being low or a problem with the excitation?

If it is normal then great I need not worry.

Nick S/Y Amelia

kwzy6vgkpvtfohjddjsrotobzwf2pjeafjwalhur@...

Hi Bill,

The boat is in Antigua, but I am in the UK for the moment. So you suspect that the excitation circuit needs to be checked. If this is the case I guess it self excites at the higher rpm. Would you agree?

Nick

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Nick

Yes, I believe any alternator will self-excite at higher revs.

One side of the relay has 12VDVC input when the engine start switch is turned to ON. The other side of the relay switches ON 24VDC to excite the alternator.

It is likely a loose or dirty connection on the relay.

Some Amels had the red warning light for the alternator wired in series with the excite circuit, and if that bulb were burned-out, the alternator will not excite. To be on the safe side, check that bulb, which on a SM is located on the bottom left of the 24 Volt panel.

On Jan 24, 2018 12:49, "kwzy6vgkpvtfohjddjsrotobzwf2pjeafjwalhur@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

The boat is in Antigua, but I am in the UK for the moment. So you suspect that the excitation circuit needs to be checked. If this is the case I guess it self excites at the higher rpm. Would you agree?

Nick

Craig Briggs

Nick,
The spec sheet on that alternator says the cut-in RPM is 2000 (that's the alternator's rpm, which is faster than the engine's in proportion to pulley size), so it sounds like all is normal. You don't say if it works fine after it cuts in, but if so it sounds like your alternator is working as it should. Was there some new or different odd behavior that prompted your question and makes you suspect there is a problem?
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN#68 (Btw, on my Perkins factory standard alternator there's a timing circuit that delays cut-in to avoid presenting a high load to the engine on starting.)

---In amelyachtowners@..., <yahoogroups@...> wrote :

[...]

Thanks to everyone for your comments. My impression is that it used to kick in at low rpm on the engine but now needs 1500. So my conclusion is that the excitation circuit has a minor fault but that it self excites at higher rpm, and then once excited it charges as it should even if one throttles back to  idle (700 rpm) although obviously at a low output. There may be other things going on, like the residual magnetism has been lost. On my last boat this happened and I "flashed" the alternator as described by Nigel Calder which sorted it out. Thing is, I am in the UK for the next few months and can not play around with it.

 This is a great group, lots of knowledge out there!

Thanks

Nick S/Y Amelia Amel 54 hull 019

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Nick,

I don't know the ratio of RPM ftom the alternator to the engine, but as I recall it, I would guess about 3:1. If it is 3:1 the alternator would turn at 1800 when the engine is at 600.

Regardless of the ratio, I believe yours should excite when the engine starts. I had that same alternator for 11 years. My engine idled at about 600 RPM. The alternator would excite as soon as the engine started. The one time that it didn't, I had an alarm and red light on the 24 Volt panel. My issue was a loose wire connection on the alternator excite relay, which I described in an earlier email.

BTW, the alternator would not put out much amperage until the engine RPM was more than about 1400.

I hope this helps you and you get it resolved.

On Jan 24, 2018 12:49, "kwzy6vgkpvtfohjddjsrotobzwf2pjeafjwalhur@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Bill,

The boat is in Antigua, but I am in the UK for the moment. So you suspect that the excitation circuit needs to be checked. If this is the case I guess it self excites at the higher rpm. Would you agree?

Nick

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Nick,

I agree with Bill Rouse. The exiteation circuit will be faulty. I have seen just these symptoms across a number of applications over many years.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Mangonui