Main furler gearbox

Patrick McAneny

I want to disassemble the furler gearbox and having trouble removing the black housing which houses the winch socket . I have spent an hour or so tapping it , the aluminum gearbox , the winch socket and it won't come apart,I put it in a vice and tried to twist it and yes , I have removed the bolts and have tried cussing as well . If there is any trick to getting these apart I would like to hear it.

Thanks,

Pat SM #123

Duane Siegfri

I was able to get it out by tapping around the exterior of the black winch socket with a rubber mallet (you may have to tap pretty agressively).  The idea being to "tip" it progressively.  It took a while.  If it seems really stuck try some PB Blaster to dissolve any corrosion.

I'm surprised you couldn't twist the black piece when you had it in a vice.  Did you try a pipe wrench, or a strap wrench?  You might try a combination of PB Blaster the night before, then tapping to break it free of some of the corrosion and twisting with a strap wrench.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

Pat,

I replied earlier but don't see it now, so excuse me if both show up.

I got mine out by tapping with a rubber mallet around the perimeter of the black piece with the body of the furler in a vise.  After it was "broken free" of the accumulated salt and crud it came out easily.  You might try a solvent like PB Blaster, or just soak it in freshwater to dissolve the salt first.  A combination of tapping and twisting (with a strap wrench) might be successful.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477