Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Opacmare Passerelle sticking Jamming Nylon sliding support seized AMEL 54

Gregory Shea

Rob, 

Take a look at  UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It is readily available and easy to work. It is commonly used for sliding applications industrially. One of its fairly rigorous applications is the sliding contact under the work platforms of JLG scissor lifts. 

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of rob.molly@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 3:12 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Opacmare Passerelle sticking Jamming Nylon sliding support seized AMEL 54

Thanks Hank,

Yes you're right all the technical papers that I've found show equilibrium for the most common Nylons i.e. Nylon 6, Nylon 66 and Nylon 610 at 50%/60% humidity. The equilibrium is achieved after more than 100 days There is no information when the humidity is frequently over 80% plus exposure to salt water, as it is in La Rochelle where the boat has spent a lot of time and where it's moored today with the humidity at 88%.  The figure appears to be more than 5% water take-up but, and this is the most annoying part that, it continues to swell with a unit that has previously been machined.

The fact is that swelling has happened repeatedly showing that it is a continuing process.  The swelling must stretch the material and it does not appear to recover original dimensions on drying then swelling again later.

HDPE and moulded PTFE are contenders and maybe use the old fashion solution of Lignum Vitae.  Some tangible cooperation from Opacmare would be helpful.  They haven't even advised which Nylon they use  and clearly not considered at all an alternative.

All this bother with a product that cost the price of a good small car when new!

INUS - BUSCH

Sehr geehrter Herr Ertl,

Vielen Dank für die Antwort, damit kann ich was anfangen.
Und noch ein schönes Restwochenende.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Busch

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 03.02.2018 um 17:43 schrieb Gregory Shea gmshea@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Rob, 

Take a look at  UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It is readily available and easy to work. It is commonly used for sliding applications industrially. One of its fairly rigorous applications is the sliding contact under the work platforms of JLG scissor lifts. 

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of rob.molly@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Opacmare Passerelle sticking Jamming Nylon sliding support seized AMEL 54

Thanks Hank,

Yes you're right all the technical papers that I've found show equilibrium for the most common Nylons i.e. Nylon 6, Nylon 66 and Nylon 610 at 50%/60% humidity. The equilibrium is achieved after more than 100 days There is no information when the humidity is frequently over 80% plus exposure to salt water, as it is in La Rochelle where the boat has spent a lot of time and where it's moored today with the humidity at 88%.  The figure appears to be more than 5% water take-up but, and this is the most annoying part that, it continues to swell with a unit that has previously been machined.

The fact is that swelling has happened repeatedly showing that it is a continuing process.  The swelling must stretch the material and it does not appear to recover original dimensions on drying then swelling again later.

HDPE and moulded PTFE are contenders and maybe use the old fashion solution of Lignum Vitae.  Some tangible cooperation from Opacmare would be helpful.  They haven't even advised which Nylon they use  and clearly not considered at all an alternative.

All this bother with a product that cost the price of a good small car when new!

INUS - BUSCH

Sorry, but my last response was a mistake!
I should not have pressed the send button.
It seems I‘m getting too old for a fast reply.
All the best
Dieter
Sharki #135 Fal-lera

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 03.02.2018 um 17:43 schrieb Gregory Shea gmshea@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Rob, 

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of rob.molly@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

Thanks Hank,