Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Wind generator

Siviero Attilio <attilio.siviero@...>

Hi Paul,
I had, for some years a Silentwind on top of mizzenmast. Installation was not easy, with a SS mast and a SS plate with 16 bolts and silentblocks. Electric brake did not work properly and noise was not an issue, but vibration due to length of mast was an issue in the aft cabin. After a couple of years silent blocks failed (black rubber pieces exposed to light all the time) and the windgen was hanging to power cables. I reinstalled but again very noisy due to the fact that seagulls or other birds took pieces of the blades - carbon - so the unit was unbalanced and the bearing had to be replaced, along with blades. That time I decided to move the unit with a SS cantilever at mid mast, much more manageable and less vibration inducer.
Lesson lernt: on top of mizzen mast windgen is a source of issues, better on appropriate cantilever at mid mast.
Also, Silentwind is not very silent, maybe D400, with 5 blades, is better even if more expensive and heavy, but much more silent and less vibrating.
If I start over I think I buy D400
Hope it helps
Attilio
SY Sisila Amel SN#84 in Leros-Greece

Il giorno 05 feb 2018, alle ore 17:30, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

We plan to install a wind generator probably a Rutland 1200 on top of the mizzen mast.

We are currently not at the boat (Georgetown Maryland) and wonder if someone know how the top of the mizzenmast look like? Measures? Is it easy access to put nuts and bolts through the top to bolt the wind generator? Any advise from someone who have made that before would be appreciated. There is a mounting kit in aluminium available for 499 $ looks expensive to me, thinking of having one made in 316 SS would probably be less cost. Weight a loft is of course an issue.

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Lagos Portugal

Mark Garver

Paul,

Ours is also midway up the Mizzenmast and we find it to be quite effective and really haven’t noticed vibrations or noise from vibrations. Only problem is we can’t really fly the Mizzen Ballooner due to fear of it tearing on the wind generator.

Best,

Mark
S/V It’s Good
Amel SM #105

On Feb 5, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Siviero Attilio attilio.siviero@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul, Danny again. Attilo's experience (and the others posted) show why only the right unit is suitable for mizzen top mounting. The super wind 350 is designed to withstand hurricane force winds untended.Check their web site.  Just 4 bolts to mount it and a thin rubber sheet. No noise and no vibration, no one has ever heard it and we often get remarks about that. And nine years non stop use before the first service

Regards

Danny SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 06 February 2018 at 05:55 "Siviero Attilio attilio.siviero@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Again, I believe the D400, while a fine unit is totally unsuitable for mizzen top mounting because of weight, bulk, and its awkward swing to the side feathering.

[...]

Hi Paul, herewith two photos of the mounting for the super wind for the mizzen top.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 6 Feb 2018 07:39, "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Paul, we have had a Super Wind 350 on top of the mizzen for 9 years. It is super quiet and importantly has a blade feathering system that comes in progressively as the wind gets stronger so it doesn't fly to pieces in a gale or hurricane.It weighs about 8 kg.  Our SM 299 has a flat top to the mizzen with a plate that extends beyond the edges of the mast allowing four bolts to secure the generator mast. You need to put some insertion rubber sheet (ours is about 3mm thick) between the generator mast and the mizzen to damp vibration. I will post a photo later as we have the generator off for its first ever service.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 06 February 2018 at 05:30 "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We plan to install a wind generator probably a Rutland 1200 on top of the mizzen mast.

We are currently not at the boat (Georgetown Maryland) and wonder if someone know how the top of the mizzenmast look like? Measures? Is it easy access to put nuts and bolts through the top to bolt the wind generator? Any advise from someone who have made that before would be appreciated. There is a mounting kit in aluminium available for 499 $ looks expensive to me, thinking of having one made in 316 SS would probably be less cost. Weight a loft is of course an issue.

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Lagos Portugal

Paul Osterberg

Danny!
Thank you for input.
Can*t find any photos

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Mark
That the concern i have when placing the wind generator half way up the mizzen the problem to fly the mizzen balooner, maybe by adding a sock to the balooner the risk of having it into the windgenerator decrease and that one need to put the generator at rest  but that no issue as usually very little effect from the wind generator when condition for the mizzen balooner,

Paul

Mark Garver

Paul,

Good point! Thanks I never thought about using a sock!

Best,
Mark
S/V It’s Good
Amen SM #105

On Feb 5, 2018, at 5:02 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark

That the concern i have when placing the wind generator half way up the mizzen the problem to fly the mizzen balooner, maybe by adding a sock to the balooner the risk of having it into the windgenerator decrease and that one need to put the generator at rest  but that no issue as usually very little effect from the wind generator when condition for the mizzen balooner,

Paul

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul,
I did several posts, maybe you haven't checked them all
I sent it from my phone, and as a member I received it in my inbox with photos so they should be there.
Regards
Danny

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 6 Feb 2018 10:56 a.m., "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Danny!

Thank you for input.
Can*t find any photos

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul, try again for the photos. They are here
You probably have worked it out that for me there is one and one only wind generator for the mizzen top. Super wind 350
Likewise, one and only one place for it on the mizzen, on top. Mounted elsewhere??? You can get away with lesser units, but why would you.
Regards
Danny

Sent from my Vodafone Smart