dinghy on deck during passages

Red1 Stella SM359

Hello again,

I am looking at recommendations regarding storing the dinghy on deck for longer passages.  I have seen various options and photos with the dinghy forward or aft on the sundeck but would like to get recommendation from your experiences while crossing.

Stella has original davits but they look flimsy and I am not comfortable for them to be used offshore, (I plan to use them to take the dinghy out while at anchorage at night. or short good weather sailing)

Stella SM359

greatketch@...

Dinghy storage options are always a source of "discussion" with sailors.  My personal feeling is that davits are not a reliable storage method underway--even for short day sails.  There is just too much to go wrong, and the weight is put in the worst possible place. Lots of people do it all the time (mostly) without serious problems. On the other hand, we saw a boat come into Newport RI inbound from Block Island that had been carrying a dinghy on davits when they were pooped.  Everything on the back of the boat was totally pretzeled. A real mess. Must have been terrifying at the time.

When we added an arch for our solar panels, we skipped adding the optional davits--and have never regretted it. When at anchor we found that lifting the dinghy to the rail with a halyard was just as fast, as easy, and as secure as any davits I ever used.

We have a 10.5 foot folding RIB that we can deflate, fold, and zip into its storage bag in no more than 10 minutes. The bag is tied down on the aft cabin deck where it is totally out of the way both physically and visually.  The folded size is less than 4' x 4' x 2'. For serious passages, we take the time to drop it in the lazarette, and we then have totally clear decks.

It took a lot of searching, but we finally found an electric inflator pump that is easy to use, well built, and puts air into the dinghy in a jiffy. Most of the ones we looked at were built to a very low price point and seemed fragile and fussy.

Our solution is not to everyone's taste, but we feel it is the best for us.

On my old boat, a 40 foot ketch, I had a hard dinghy that was tied down forward of the mast with custom padeyes.  It was a workable solution, although it did restrict visibility quite a bit.

Bill Kinney
SM#160,  Harmonie
Great Guana Cay, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <Stella.AmelSM359@...> wrote :

Hello again,

I am looking at recommendations regarding storing the dinghy on deck for longer passages.  I have seen various options and photos with the dinghy forward or aft on the sundeck but would like to get recommendation from your experiences while crossing.

Stella has original davits but they look flimsy and I am not comfortable for them to be used offshore, (I plan to use them to take the dinghy out while at anchorage at night. or short good weather sailing)

Stella SM359

Alan Leslie

We never put the dinghy on the davits when voyaging offshore...one decent wave would rip it all off the back the boat.
We ALWAYS strap down our dink inverted on the aft cabin roof when heading offshore. Not only is it safe and secure, it also functions as a spray shield for the cockpit
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437.