[Amel Yacht Owners] Guadeloupe

Dan Carlson

Hi Courtney,  I think the best use of your time would be a few days at Illes des Saintes.  Easy to get to, easy to check in and out. Great food!

I think Barbuda is to far east and I dont think that you can check in there, have to check in at Antigua.  You might also look at Dominica, Portsmouth at Prince Rupert Bay. But it takes a few hours to check in. The PAYS guys can help you with that, as well as quickly set you up with tours that might interest you.  If you are there on a Sunday evening I heard that they are having the cruisers barbecue again, that is a pretty good time.

We are in MARTINIQUE until next Wednesday or so.

Dan and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Courtney Gorman Itsfun1@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

Hi all Cindy and I will be sailing from Puerto Rico to Martinique next week.  I am wondering if stopping on the way or going direct is the better choice?  I was considering Barbuda or Guadeloupe for stop overs.  I still work so we are on a short leash of 2 weeks per trip.  Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!!
Courtney
Trippin' Amel 54 #101
Marina Del Rey PR

Courtney Gorman

Awesome,
Thanks Dan sorry we will miss you in Martinique unless you are still there and wee make it LOL
Cheers
Courtney

[...]

Ian Park

Agree. Barbuda is all but deserted at present. Daishaies in the NW is the easiest clearing in port approaching Guagaloupe. Used to be all mooring buoys (free) but Irma seems to have removed most of them and it is back to the good old anchor (usually good space on left hand side and good holding). Then a day trip down to the Saintes.
We are currently in Bas du Fort marina until middle of March but not on the boat. It is a good marina (water and electricity free) but if you go, book ahead as space can be tight. It's 4.5 miles from the airport - taxi €23.

Have a good trip.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Courtney Gorman

Thanks

Agree. Barbuda is all but deserted at present. Daishaies in the NW is the easiest clearing in port approaching Guagaloupe. Used to be all mooring buoys (free) but Irma seems to have removed most of them and it is back to the good old anchor (usually good space on left hand side and good holding). Then a day trip down to the Saintes.
We are currently in Bas du Fort marina until middle of March but not on the boat. It is a good marina (water and electricity free) but if you go, book ahead as space can be tight. It's 4.5 miles from the airport - taxi €23.

Have a good trip.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

thomas.kleman <no_reply@...>

If I could throw in my two cents on Deshaies, my wife and I have been cruising the area since 2014 pretty continually. We stopped in Deshailles to check in last week and enjoyed probably the most rolly evening ever on our boat (middle of the harbor).  Crash, bang, and no sleep. The non-rolly part of that harbor is the extreme north end along the shore and there is intense competition for this space (we arrived too late). Good luck.

Tom and Kirstin

Courtney Gorman

thanks I appreciate the heads up!