Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu: Location for watermaker

David Wallace

If you decide to place the unit outboard of the aft toilet, you can make more space by moving the shelf facing panel inboard such that it sits on the fiberglass base behind the toliet. We did this in both the forward and aft heads, extending the shelves about four inches, giving us quite a bit of more storage space with no interference with the toilet.

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez, Mx

On Feb 7, 2018, at 11:17 AM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks for this Michael

I’ll have a look at that option
My engine bay is flanked with batteries
One side is service and starter
The other has a big battery for windlass and furler
Plus I’ve 3 alternators  perhaps we all have.
So not that much space for cat swinging

But in many ways the engine bay would work well.
Perhaps I could make a removable platform

I’m not close to the boat at the mo but still curious about the option of between the aft toilet and the hull. Perhaps just for the RO unit

I’ll send a few photos once I’ve settled on a good spot but very helpful to hear others experience so many thanks to those who responded

Fair winds

On 4 Feb 2018, at 10:42, 'Michael Konz' mkbiz@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I installed an Aquabase watermaker in the engine room. The pump went on a
small platform besides the battery compartment and the main unit is wall
mounted at the port side of the engine room as far forward as possible.
So I still have enough place in the engine room to do all the works.

Good luck
Michael

smiles bernard

Many thanks for that idea David
I’ll have a look at that when I’m next onboard

I was actually thinking I’d mount the reverse osmosis unit on the fibreglass tray behind the toilet but you have made me think that I could instead extend the shelves above the tray an place the unit in there

I suspect the lower the unit the better as the pump will have less work to do but perhaps the shelf would be a good option

All the very best

Miles

On 8 Feb 2018, at 18:35, David Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Miles,

One thing to add re installing you RO system. My low pressure feed pump is a Johnson Pumps CM30P7.  The pump is almost totally silent, but does need to be mounted below the waterline. It feeds the HP pump for my system that makes 35 gl/hr. It’s located in the engine room and has suffered no problems due to the heat, and has been in service for 5-6 years. I use the same model Johnson pump to feed the cooling circuit for our refrigeration, and it’s also in the engine room, and that pump has been in service for 16 years (knock on wood)! So that’s an option to consider.

Dave Wallace
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez, Mx