[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Abuse

eric freedman

Hi Paul,

If it was oil and water then it would have been the lip seal on the thruster prop shaft.

If it is 100% oil, then my guess is that you added more than .3 liters of oil to the thruster, or you did not drain it completely.

I had some liquid grease drip down the bow thruster towards the shaft lip seal. My thruster started making a grinding noise.

I found that the lower bearing of the motor had come apart and the grease had liquefied,

I had the motor overhauled with a new bearing and all is well, The motor was also very hot with the bad bearing.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of pstas2003
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 5:15 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Abuse

Hello Eric.  I hope all is well.

I appears to be just oil.

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Cruising Martinique

www.RitaKathryn.com

pstas2003 <no_reply@...>

Hello Eric.  I hope all is well.

I appears to be just oil.

Paul Stascavage
Cruising Martinique

www.RitaKathryn.com

eric freedman

Was it just oil, or oil and water mixed?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of pstas2003
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 8:47 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Abuse

Good day to all,

Yesterday we had to dock the boat in very windy conditions and the bow thruster got way more use than I have ever subjected it to before.  When I went below, I smelled a slight burning smell and immediately went forward.  The thruster was hot, very hot, but fortunately not burning.

After it cooled, I smelled gear oil and when I removed the face panel and took a thorough look, there was a small amount of gear lube dripping down the shaft and a small puddle of lube in the bow thruster locker floor - approximately 50 mls.

I have always tried to make sure I didn’t keep the thruster on for more than 10 or 15 seconds, but I guess yesterday I didn’t pause long enough between use.  The thruster appears to be working just fine, but the oil confuses me.  Did we overfill the unit when we serviced it last October, or did the unit get so hot that some boiled out?  

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Should I be concerned about the abuse I subjected the thruster to yesterday, or like most things on these boats was the unit over engineered to handle such abuse?

Should I just add another 50 mls of lube and monitor it, or should I drop the unit for further inspection?

My appreciation to all who take the time to respond with their thoughts and wisdom.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
Cruising Martinique

www.RitaKathryn.com