Condensation on bottom of freezer?

Duane Siegfri

I'm having a lot of condensation on the bottom of the freezer.  It's winter here in Georgia with humidity in the 60 to 85% range, and temperatures in the 50's and 60's.  Water temp is right there as well.

Is this normal for the conditions or is there something else I should look for?  We're not running the air conditioning so it's not the condensate pan.

Thanks,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

greatketch@...

Duane,

The problem is that Amel was no better than other boat builders when it came to insulating cold boxes.  You have two choices.  You either live with it, or rip things apart and properly insulate it and end up with a box with a smaller interior volume.

A proper freezer should have, as a minimum, 4 inches of insulation. Six would be better.  Most boat builders would never consider this because it makes the inside of the box look too small at the boat show. My Amel installed box has no more than 2 inches.  It will sweat.  The real problem is that all that condensation is wasted energy.

There is no substitute for real, effective insulation. And there is certainly no easy way to retrofit this. We live with the minimally effective insulation that came with our boat. But, every time I feel the see condensation, or feel the cold on the exterior of the box, I grit my teeth and wish for better.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Freeport, Bahamas

Duane Siegfri

I was hoping for a "gee, just do this and Voila!  ees all better!"  But as long as there isn't a bigger problem causing it, no big deal.

Thanks Bill,
Duane