SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Mangonui
New Zealand

On 16 February 2018 at 06:42 "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alexandre, Trust me, I for one will reread my policy with a more critical eye. Its disgusting how an insurance company would look for any excuse , even an invalid one to escape their responsibly . I will guarantee that the vast majority of boaters are not aware of these practices, and believe that they have an umbrella of protection , that in reality does not exist. I urge you guys to find a way to tell your story to a wider audience.

Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Thu, Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel owner saying goodbye

Hello Pat,

I totally agree with you Danny.

This is why my lawyer said it was a rip off to start with.
You are paying in good faith a higher premium thinking you are covered, but you are not.

I URGE everybody to read their insurance policies.
Most of you probably never even receive it (I had to ask for mine).

I think as a boating community, if we group ourselves we have a way to make things better.

Example on my insurance policy it says in case of a name storm approaching you have to:
remove anything that offers wind resistance which is: bimini, sails, lazy bags, blade of wind turbine, dinghy, etc. these items must be removed and store inside the boat. As Rafael tragically find out, this also include barbecues. That is why they say “anything” even if not listed...
Then it says the boom must be attached to the deck.
Then you have to close all unnecessary sea cock.
Valuable objects such as electronics must be disassembled and store on land...
Then you have to “triple” the number of normal fenders, dock lines, etc.
IF YOU FAIL TO DO ANY OF THESE, the policy is canceled.

I really implore Rafael to tell his story…

Last week I met a french guy, so we chat, he used to be hired by insurance adjuster to find “anything” on a boat. He said, if there was a fire, the insurance adjuster would hire him to find any electrical welding (if I understood properly), as soon as they find 1, even if it is at the top of the mast, the policy is void and they don’t reimburse.
He said he was disgusted and like many sailor I met now simply has liability.

Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 7:15 AM

The
insurance company based the premiums on the Agreed value ,
and then only will pay out based on what they determine the
market value is, because they don't want you to be
enriched ! Did they not enrich themselves by charging
excessive premiums for coverage they probably never intended
to honor ? This kind of information needs to get out to the
entire boating community through the internet and sailing
magazines . I encourage anyone treated unfairly to relate
their story , if  it results in lost business maybe they
will get the message. If 10% of those covered by a company
cancelled and took their business elsewhere and gave the
reason why , it would get their attention. Its sad to lose a
dream .
Pat

SM Shenanigans

-----Original
Message-----

Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 10:51 PM

I too have been raped by insurers in the past. I now

have a policy with an "agreed Value" . I hope
that

would help in the case of a write off.DannySM

299 Ocean PearlOn 15 February 2018 at 11:19

"Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...

[amelyachtowners]"

<amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

  Dear Rafael,

I think you need to tell

the Group “your” story about the insurance.

We have the same insurance

Helvetia contracted through de Lassee and I really think

every Amel owner should know the ridiculous excuses they

used to remove 30% of the value of your boat.

It is not “my” place to

tell everybody the way they treated “you”, but I
will

write mine with all the details when it will be settled.

I am definitely sorry that

your vessel was destroy soon after you purchased her and
did

not had the joy of sailing her.

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Wed, 2/14/18, rcavie

<no_reply@...>
wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel owner saying

goodbye

amelyachtowners@...

Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 1:57 PM

Dear

friends AMEL ownersProbably this

will be

the last email that I send and I will withdraw from

the group. The reason is that Hurricane

Irma

destroyed my Amel SM2k and it will be

impossible for me to

recover it.The

insurance will only pay a fraction of

what

it would cost me to buy an equal one. Deductibles and

other reasons.This situation not only

destroyed my

ship but my dreams. My dreams

of living on board with my

wife, my dreams

of crossing the Atlantic to the East, my

dreams of sailing the Mediterranean and perhaps other

seas

and finally returning to the beautiful

South of

Chile.

In this

group I gained friends

and knowledge and

for that, I thank each and every one of

you, especially Eric and Alexandre who from the
beginning

helped me with their advice.

If

you sail to Chile you will have a