Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Do you want a spare Linear Actuator control board?

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Great! Good luck.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Feb 16, 2018 09:36, "sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'm considering having the printed circuit board (in the black box in the Bow Thruster compartment) made and then soldering on the relays, diodes and wire terminals myself or have it done.

I'm going to test the first ones on my boat.  If it works out well, I'll offer them for sale at $450 each.  If you're interested please reply to this thread, but please only do that if you plan to buy one.

If there is enough interest, I'll put together the first one and test it on my boat.  If all goes well, and costs don't escalate I'll stick to the $450 price.  I'll include instructions on how to install it.  They will be money-back guaranteed for a year.

One very large advantage, if your control box does not have a fuse, this will have the fuse preventing burn-out of the actuator motor in case of limit switch failure.  And trust me, the limit switch es do fail which will result in the linear actuator motor trying to work past a mechanical stop, drawing too much current for the motor which could ruin the motor.  The other failure point are the relays (3 small green boxes on the cirucit board).  You could just have the relays replaced, but then you wouldn't have the bow thruster during the interim.  Having a spare circuit board on hand would make it a 30 minute job to switch out.

Bill notes that there are at least three different arrangements of bow thrusters, so I would need you to send me a photo of the control box showing the wire terminal numbers and wire colors so I can be sure this setup would work for you.  Don't send me anything yet (unless you want to, I'd be interested).  All you have to do is remove the 4 screws on the faceplate and then snap the photos.

It's been suggested to me that I also offer the limit switches and the actuator.  I&#39 ;ll be working on that if there is interest in the circuit board.

I'm hoping I have not violated any rules of the forum, let me know if I have.

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

mfmcgovern@...

In an odd coincidence, I was working on a making a replacement PCB for the Bowthruster Linear Actuator before Duane made this post. I didn't want to say something about it on the forum until I actually had one completed and tested on my boat though I did reach out to Duane through an intermediary to let him know that I was already in the process of making a replacement. I finally finished the successful testing of the prototype this past weekend.

And here is a link to a video of the bowthruster being lowered and raised back up using the the prototype PCB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/107vwBIrFxJI3APtEOF7hsBGKZMM6B8lP/view?usp=drivesdk

The PCB design mimics the original one in my SM #440 as much as possible. It has a 10 amp fuse and the traces are all sized larger than the original PCB. I used the original components wherever I could. So far I've made only the one board, but if anyone else is interested, I can readily make more within a few weeks and can offer them for sale at $250 each (plus shipping) with a 3 year warranty. You can contact me at mfmcgovern at gmail.com if you are interested.

I hope this helps some of you. My next project is to attempt to make a drop in replacement for my non-functioning chain counter display unit. I expect this one will be a bit more difficult but I will let you know if and when it is done!

Regards,
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Mark,

Congratulations! This is really very good news for All SM owners that have electronic sensors on their bow thrusters.

If I still owned BeBe, I would buy one today for several reasons: 1.) The PCB on BeBe #387 was NOT protected by a fuse. 2.) Sooner or later, possibly every SM will need one of these and without Amel supporting it, we have few choices.

Maybe you should think about the Amel electronic chain counter as your next project.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

--

eric freedman

adding a fuse to the PCB on the bowthruster is quite simple. I added one to the + wire

on the pcp in a small fuse holder.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Very impressive Mark !!! Great work!
Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 4:27 PM

In an odd coincidence, I was working on a making a
replacement PCB for the Bowthruster Linear Actuator before
Duane made this post. I didn't want to say something
about it on the forum until I actually had one completed and
tested on my boat though I did reach out to Duane through an
intermediary to let him know that I was already in the
process of making a replacement. I finally finished the
successful testing of the prototype this past weekend.

I uploaded some pics of the prototype PCB on the forums
here:

[...]

karkauai

Hi Mark,
I’m interested in getting one of your bow thruster linear actuator PCBs. I also want a spare worm gear and motor. Are these proprietary Amel parts, or available elsewhere?
I’m back in St Michaels, currently on a mooring in Leeds Creek. Are you in Deale?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

mfmcgovern@...

Kent,

I completely missed this message.  Sorry about that!  We are in Deale at Herrington Harbor North. I do have a few more PCBs available from the first batch that I had made.  If you are still interested, you can email me directly at mfmcgovern at gmail dot com.

From what I can tell, the whole linear actuator assembly came from a company called SNT (www.snt.tm.fr/)  I was unable to get any response from them via email even when I had my french-speaking daughter translate my email.

Thanks,
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara