Topics

Maretron Electronics experience?

Duane Siegfri

In fact, Furuno is not "bullet proof".  The old Furuno at the helm was sent in for repair.  Here is there response:

RDP148 S/N 4325-0332    Tested unit, network functions are intermittent.  Inspected the unit and found  data ports 1 & 3 are corroded on the SPU PCB and  Power PCB is water damaged.  Power boards are no longer available for this model; unit is unrepairable.  Would you like to have the unit returned unrepaired at no charge?

Note the "water damage" item.  This unit was installed by Amel without any kind of weather cover so I expect that it should have been fine in its location.  If you leave the windshield up, and it starts to rain the unit will get somewhat wet.  Even washing the boat carefully some water may splash on the unit.  So getting wet should not have been too much of a problem.  Maybe past owners hosed the unit down while washing the boat.  Definitely not bullet proof.

The replacement unit was from Ebay and had remains of sealant on it where the old weather cover had been removed.  So it was an outdoor unit as well.

Amazingly enough the refer started to work again shortly after I posted the note.  I used the hi/low speed button and it came on, so maybe that switch is bad.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
and sometimes old gear is just about to fail gear...
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Duane Siegfri

An update on the reefer - it was a loose wire, most likely from the "salty" sailing!

Duane

danielmfrey63@...

Hi Duane

Glad to hear you found the cause.

Most electronic devices have a water Ingress rating, which means, how much water they can "digest". I have a B&G Zeus 2 at the helm (on the starboard side, behind a window, which can't be opened on the Santorin) and its water Ingress rating is IPX 6 and 7. I dont know what Your Furuno plotter has. But according to the protection it is built one can "stress" it.

Here is an IPX list from the web.

Best - Daniel

IPX0 – This means it’s not water resistant at all. Think of what happens to paper when it gets wet. It’s a mess and your novella is ruined.

IPX1 – This will protect a device from some water drops that are falling vertically on said device. I guess it’s possible for this situation to actually occur but so is winning the lottery. If you or someone you know has won the lottery, sharing is caring.

IPX2 –  This will protect your thingy from some water drops when the device is tilted up to and including 15°. If you have your device at 16°, you are screwed, sorry but there are limits in the world.

IPX3 – Getting better, you can now spray your gear up to 60° from the top of the device. So that’s cool, I guess.

IPX4 – Now we are getting somewhere. This will keep “yo ish chill” from splashing water from any direction. So if you drop some cubes of ice into you scotch and it splashes, there is no need to worry. Well, except for those drops of scotch that didn’t make it into your tummy.

IPX5 – (this is where the super soaker is allowed). Will protect your stuff from water jets at any direction. Spray away kiddo, spray away.

IPX6 – Protects from powerful water jets. So if you modified your super soaker with an air compressor and an aftermarket tip, your stuff is still safe.

Everything after this is now water proof.

IPX7 – Full splashdown accepted captain. If you drop your device in water up to 3 feet (1 meter but this is ‘Merica and we don’t do the metric system. USA USA USA) your device is still going to work.

IPX8 – You can protect your device in water over 3 feet. This is for your stuff at the bottom of a pool, lake, or even a super deep public hot tub. What’s up with that one couple that never gets out of the hot tub?

Alan Leslie

The Furuno NavNet2 display unit is IPX5 rated which means that it can withstand 12.5 litres / min for 3 minutes from any direction ...that would seem to be adequate for the helm position.
Clearly your problem was water ingress and probably because the units had been taken apart and miss-assembled, which is hardly the fault of the FURUNO unit.
It's a pity you didn't say from the beginning that they failed because of water ingress.
We wouldn't all have gone off on wild goose chases instead of concentrating on your real question about NMEA2000 etc.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Duane Siegfri

Alan,

Didn't mean to mislead you, but I was asking about Maretron, and just giving some background as to why I was looking.

Duane