[Amel Yacht Owners] Berth conversion


Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Jay, 

I had that nightmare once.😀 I don't want to be rude, but the very best advice I can give to you, or anyone considering an Amel is wait until you own your Amel for a year before you start redesigning it. If you are like every Amel owner I  know, you will be thankful for this advice. And if there is a feature that Amel doesn't offer that you want and cannot do without it, you are looking at the wrong brand. 

BTW, Amel 54, 55, and 64 have center line berths. They are not so good for passage making.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 1, 2018 10:51, "Jay Hosford  [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Anyone ever thought of converting the master berth to a centerline? Saw a super maramu done this way the other day. Looked nice. Interested in what the pros and cons are





james Hosford
 

Well that was my concern.  It looks good on the new modern boats but is it practical if you are going to sail it.   Be nice to still be able to wedge against the bulkhead when its rough.


On Feb 28, 2018, at 8:14 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Jay, 

I had that nightmare once.😀 I don't want to be rude, but the very best advice I can give to you, or anyone considering an Amel is wait until you own your Amel for a year before you start redesigning it. If you are like every Amel owner I  know, you will be thankful for this advice. And if there is a feature that Amel doesn't offer that you want and cannot do without it, you are looking at the wrong brand. 

BTW, Amel 54, 55, and 64 have center line berths. They are not so good for passage making.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 1, 2018 10:51, "Jay Hosford  [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Anyone ever thought of converting the master berth to a centerline? Saw a super maramu done this way the other day. Looked nice. Interested in what the pros and cons are





Peter Forbes
 

I agree with Bill. Our 54 has normal centre line double berth which is redundant on passage despite Lee boards.

Peter
Carango
Amel 54  # 035
St Lucia


On 1 Mar 2018, at 02:14, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Jay, 

I had that nightmare once.😀 I don't want to be rude, but the very best advice I can give to you, or anyone considering an Amel is wait until you own your Amel for a year before you start redesigning it. If you are like every Amel owner I  know, you will be thankful for this advice. And if there is a feature that Amel doesn't offer that you want and cannot do without it, you are looking at the wrong brand. 

BTW, Amel 54, 55, and 64 have center line berths. They are not so good for passage making.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 1, 2018 10:51, "Jay Hosford  [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Anyone ever thought of converting the master berth to a centerline? Saw a super maramu done this way the other day. Looked nice. Interested in what the pros and cons are





Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air <jgermain@...>
 

Hi Gang, We modified our bed in the aft cabin and it is a successful change.  We started by removing the single bed from the stbd side and replaced it with extra cabinets.  This is very good.

Then we widened the base of the bed and reduced the width of the aisle.  Bed is still 190 CMS long but 165 CM at the head and 140 at the foot.

I can provide photos if needed.

It was a costly mod and not very well done by the "turkeys in Turkey"; you know the ones I’m talking about.  But after a good carpenter fixed the issues, it is a lovely place to sleep and retains the lee boards etc.


Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007
Pacific Panama



On 28 Feb 2018, at 21:14, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Jay, 

I had that nightmare once.😀 I don't want to be rude, but the very best advice I can give to you, or anyone considering an Amel is wait until you own your Amel for a year before you start redesigning it. If you are like every Amel owner I  know, you will be thankful for this advice. And if there is a feature that Amel doesn't offer that you want and cannot do without it, you are looking at the wrong brand. 

BTW, Amel 54, 55, and 64 have center line berths. They are not so good for passage making.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 1, 2018 10:51, "Jay Hosford  [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Anyone ever thought of converting the master berth to a centerline? Saw a super maramu done this way the other day. Looked nice. Interested in what the pros and cons are







Ryan Meador
 

I agree that a centerline berth is not a good modification, but even if one wanted to do such a thing, I don't see how it would be possible.  The berth is as long as the aft cabin.  If you were to slide it over to the centerline, how would you access the floor space on the port side?  It seems like you'd be trapped over there, which completely defeats the purpose of a centerline berth.

Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Gang, We modified our bed in the aft cabin and it is a successful change.  We started by removing the single bed from the stbd side and replaced it with extra cabinets.  This is very good.


Then we widened the base of the bed and reduced the width of the aisle.  Bed is still 190 CMS long but 165 CM at the head and 140 at the foot.

I can provide photos if needed.

It was a costly mod and not very well done by the "turkeys in Turkey"; you know the ones I’m talking about.  But after a good carpenter fixed the issues, it is a lovely place to sleep and retains the lee boards etc.


Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007
Pacific Panama



On 28 Feb 2018, at 21:14, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Jay, 

I had that nightmare once.😀 I don't want to be rude, but the very best advice I can give to you, or anyone considering an Amel is wait until you own your Amel for a year before you start redesigning it. If you are like every Amel owner I  know, you will be thankful for this advice. And if there is a feature that Amel doesn't offer that you want and cannot do without it, you are looking at the wrong brand. 

BTW, Amel 54, 55, and 64 have center line berths. They are not so good for passage making.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 1, 2018 10:51, "Jay Hosford  [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:
 

Anyone ever thought of converting the master berth to a centerline? Saw a super maramu done this way the other day. Looked nice. Interested in what the pros and cons are








Colin - ex SV Island Pearl
 

For what it's worth, we widened our 53's bed in the rear cabin by 11cm, and added 40cm to the L bit rear of the rear cabin desk so that the bed comes across to the main bed in line with the desk end. We can now sleep both ways, ie normal direction and cross ways (which we now actually prefer in a flat water anchorage). We then spent a fair bit on a really comfortable, top of the line, custom inner spring & latex topper mattress which zips into 3 sections in appropriate places so it can be easily removed.

I am 6ft3, and often sleep on my stomach, and so simply cannot sleep on the normal 2m max length Amel beds at all, and therefore had to do something. 

This configuration suits us 100% as we can now (and do often) sleep in any direction depending on the heel of the boat on passages, as well as the direction of night breezes across the rear cabin in hot climates such as here in the Maldives. For fitted & top sheets, the size becomes slightly larger than (what we call in Australia), a "SuperKing" size, so you can still purchase good ready made linen without too much difficulty, and then we have simply sewn the bottom sheets to fit.

Probably not to everyone's taste as the rear cabin floor space is reduced (more storage under), however we have done it in a way that it is 100% reversible back to original configuration with no visible marks, but this has truly transformed our sleeping arrangements on Island Pearl II, to become extremely versatile, and we now love our boat bed just as much as the lovely big king bed we have at home.

Colin Streeter
Amel 53 #332, SV Island Pearl II
Currently in a Secret paradise, BAA Atoll, Maldives


On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:45 PM, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

I agree that a centerline berth is not a good modification, but even if one wanted to do such a thing, I don't see how it would be possible.  The berth is as long as the aft cabin.  If you were to slide it over to the centerline, how would you access the floor space on the port side?  It seems like you'd be trapped over there, which completely defeats the purpose of a centerline berth.

Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Gang, We modified our bed in the aft cabin and it is a successful change.  We started by removing the single bed from the stbd side and replaced it with extra cabinets.  This is very good.


Then we widened the base of the bed and reduced the width of the aisle.  Bed is still 190 CMS long but 165 CM at the head and 140 at the foot.

I can provide photos if needed.

It was a costly mod and not very well done by the "turkeys in Turkey"; you know the ones I’m talking about.  But after a good carpenter fixed the issues, it is a lovely place to sleep and retains the lee boards etc.


Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007
Pacific Panama



On 28 Feb 2018, at 21:14, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:


Jay, 

I had that nightmare once.😀 I don't want to be rude, but the very best advice I can give to you, or anyone considering an Amel is wait until you own your Amel for a year before you start redesigning it. If you are like every Amel owner I  know, you will be thankful for this advice. And if there is a feature that Amel doesn't offer that you want and cannot do without it, you are looking at the wrong brand.. 

BTW, Amel 54, 55, and 64 have center line berths. They are not so good for passage making.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 1, 2018 10:51, "Jay Hosford  [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups..com> wrote:
 

Anyone ever thought of converting the master berth to a centerline? Saw a super maramu done this way the other day. Looked nice. Interested in what the pros and cons are










--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445


james Hosford
 

Could i see a picture please


On Mar 1, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Gang, We modified our bed in the aft cabin and it is a successful change.  We started by removing the single bed from the stbd side and replaced it with extra cabinets.  This is very good.


Then we widened the base of the bed and reduced the width of the aisle.  Bed is still 190 CMS long but 165 CM at the head and 140 at the foot.

I can provide photos if needed.

It was a costly mod and not very well done by the "turkeys in Turkey"; you know the ones I’m talking about.  But after a good carpenter fixed the issues, it is a lovely place to sleep and retains the lee boards etc.


Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM 007
Pacific Panama



On 28 Feb 2018, at 21:14, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Jay, 

I had that nightmare once.😀 I don't want to be rude, but the very best advice I can give to you, or anyone considering an Amel is wait until you own your Amel for a year before you start redesigning it. If you are like every Amel owner I  know, you will be thankful for this advice. And if there is a feature that Amel doesn't offer that you want and cannot do without it, you are looking at the wrong brand. 

BTW, Amel 54, 55, and 64 have center line berths. They are not so good for passage making.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 1, 2018 10:51, "Jay Hosford  [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Anyone ever thought of converting the master berth to a centerline? Saw a super maramu done this way the other day. Looked nice. Interested in what the pros and cons are







amelforme
 

 

Hello Amel Folks. Chantiers Amel made one ( that I know of, maybe more ) Super Maramu with a truly centerline berth by robbing space from the aft deck locker and relocating the watertight bulkhead separating the aft cabin from the aft deck locker further aft. I have seen this modification performed by Amel owners with not quite as good results. This really makes the aft deck locker much less useful and the aft cabin is, ergonomically, less than satisfactory to most people’s tastes.

Having been fortunate to own several SM 53”s and an Amel 54, I can tell you that a practical and fully useful centerline aft cabin berth was a big priority in the evolution of these two models. I found the Amel 54 berth to be more comfortable in every circumstance as the lee boards worked well and you could fit a split mattress with a lee cloth as an option to divide the mattress. While not having  your partner climb over you to visit the loo eliminated a ‘ target of opportunity’, it also made for less disturbance of your and your partners sleep… The storage space under the Amel 54 berth was truly cavernous and easily accessed due to the twin gas assist struts.

 

Have fun with your Amel!

 

Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell

 

 


Mohammad Shirloo
 

I couldn't agree more with Joel. The Aft cabin of the 54 is one of our favorite areas and has made the time on board a pleasure. We have not yet made any long distance passages, so I cannot comment on utilizing the aft cabin at sea. As a couple on board, I've always imagined that we would use the sea berth anyway.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099
 


From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 12:32 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Berth conversion

 

Hello Amel Folks. Chantiers Amel made one ( that I know of, maybe more ) Super Maramu with a truly centerline berth by robbing space from the aft deck locker and relocating the watertight bulkhead separating the aft cabin from the aft deck locker further aft. I have seen this modification performed by Amel owners with not quite as good results. This really makes the aft deck locker much less useful and the aft cabin is, ergonomically, less than satisfactory to most people’s tastes.

Having been fortunate to own several SM 53”s and an Amel 54, I can tell you that a practical and fully useful centerline aft cabin berth was a big priority in the evolution of these two models. I found the Amel 54 berth to be more comfortable in every circumstance as the lee boards worked well and you could fit a split mattress with a lee cloth as an option to divide the mattress. While not having  your partner climb over you to visit the loo eliminated a ‘ target of opportunity’, it also made for less disturbance of your and your partners sleep… The storage space under the Amel 54 berth was truly cavernous and easily accessed due to the twin gas assist struts.

Have fun with your Amel!

Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell


Porter McRoberts
 

Having neither owned nor sailed a SM, but nevertheless a major Delos fan, I think the 54 berth situation is fantastic. Lee boards are terrific. We just sailed 8 nights and through some rough stuff. The big bed allows for switching angles easily and sleeping crosswise as earlier said. The Lee boards are sturdy and perfectly placed. There also is then a his and hers side to the berth and storage. 

When I wake up I’m just so jazzed to even be on this boat. 

Porter and Helen 
S/V Ibis
54-152
Tortola. 



Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Mar 1, 2018, at 5:20 PM, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I couldn't agree more with Joel. The Aft cabin of the 54 is one of our favorite areas and has made the time on board a pleasure. We have not yet made any long distance passages, so I cannot comment on utilizing the aft cabin at sea. As a couple on board, I've always imagined that we would use the sea berth anyway.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099
 


From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 12:32 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Berth conversion

 

Hello Amel Folks. Chantiers Amel made one ( that I know of, maybe more ) Super Maramu with a truly centerline berth by robbing space from the aft deck locker and relocating the watertight bulkhead separating the aft cabin from the aft deck locker further aft. I have seen this modification performed by Amel owners with not quite as good results. This really makes the aft deck locker much less useful and the aft cabin is, ergonomically, less than satisfactory to most people’s tastes.

Having been fortunate to own several SM 53”s and an Amel 54, I can tell you that a practical and fully useful centerline aft cabin berth was a big priority in the evolution of these two models. I found the Amel 54 berth to be more comfortable in every circumstance as the lee boards worked well and you could fit a split mattress with a lee cloth as an option to divide the mattress. While not having  your partner climb over you to visit the loo eliminated a ‘ target of opportunity’, it also made for less disturbance of your and your partners sleep… The storage space under the Amel 54 berth was truly cavernous and easily accessed due to the twin gas assist struts.

Have fun with your Amel!

Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell


Chuck_Kim_Joy
 

Oh, that is funny ‘target of opportunity’ is right! First hand knowledge. Sorry keep it technical.


Jose Venegas
 

Colin, that sounds like a great idea.  Can you take a pix or two of your bed extension?

Jose
Ipanema SM 278
Currently covered with snow in Boston,
Constitution Marina