Inability To Remove Port Side Genoa Gearbox

pacificcool@...

For the past year and a half, Pacific Cool (SM 141 built in 1995) has had a port side genoa winch that works electrically, but is drawing 160 amps versus 30 amp for the starboard winch. Technicians in Cape Town and Trinidad tried to remove the gear box with a hydraulic puller but it would not budge.  Recently, I removed the motor which drives the gearbox and it seems to be in good condition, so I assume its the gearbox which has a bad bearing or is really gunked up.  There appear to be four nuts holding the gearbox to the underside of the winch and a gear inserts up into the winch which prevents complete disassembly of the winch itself.  Two days ago the winch stopped working electrically, but I can hear the motor turning with no movement of the winch.  It still works manually.  I checked with AMEL in Martinique last year and they had no clue what to do.

At this point it seems the best thing to do is sell the boat.  But hopefully someone has a good idea on what to do.  Any ideas welcome.  I am currently in Guadeloupe.

Best Regards,

Bill Shaproski

S/V Pacific Cool

steve_bode@...

Hi, Bill.

I have an '94 purchased recently and servicing all the winches was one of my first tasks. The Lewmar electric 58 mains were particularly troublesome and although it may or may not help you, wanted to share my experience in hopes it may give you a little more insight. I discovered that these winches on my boat can not be fully serviced without removing them from the deck. In order to remove them, I had to remove the drive motor from below decks. This was a fairly straightforward process of removing the four bolts that hold the drive motor to the flange that is in turn bolted to the collar that is part of the center stem of the winch. For your information, when I removed the four bolts that connect the motor to the flange, I was able to jiggle the motor and it slid right off the shaft that drives the gears in the stem of the winch. That shaft has a slot and a key arrangement. I uploaded a bunch of pictures of process to this site via the post "servicing lewmar 58 winches". If your motor does not drop off the drive shaft, then it is seized to that shaft. Did your pros try to pry it off the motor assembly from that flange?

Photo album of Winch service:

-Bode
SV Intention
Amel SM117 '94

pacificcool@...

Thanks much for the photos.  They me to visualize what is stuck on what.  Unfortunately, even with a 6,000 pound hydraulic puller left on overnight, the gearbox would not come loose.  The pin from the winch is obviously galvonically seized on the gearbox.  Thanks again for sending the pics.

Regards,
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

Craig Briggs

Just a thought, Bill. Did you repeatedly whack the tensioned puller with a hand sledge hammer? Sometimes that does the trick.
Craig SN68