From: dave_benjamin@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 10:45 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Mainsail measurements

Pat,

To quote another member of the Amel community, "there is no right way to do the wrong thing." Respectable  sailmakers trust only physical rig measurements taken from the rig as opposed to measuring a stretched worn sail. I highly encourage you to work with either a local sailmaker who can measure the rig or work with one of the sailmakers like myself who have enough experience with the SM to produce a sail without a visit to the boat.

As for the insignia question, most of us sailmakers have a "database" of insignias so they come out matching the factory original well.

These questions you've asked suggest to me that you're not working with a real sailmaker, perhaps just an agent of some Chinese loft with little working knowledge of sailmaking. Caveat emptor. I've seen similar tales not end well and in some cases had to replace those brand new sail s with one that actually works.

Dave_Benjamin

Pat,

Guesswork is no way to design and build. I'm sure they have a measurement form you could use to record measurements, or if you don't trust your ability to measure, then pay a rigger for a half hour to come to the boat and complete the form. One of the advantages of dealing with a smaller loft that isn't trying to do mass production is that they can take the time to make things perfect as opposed to just having something that fills a triangle.

Patrick McAneny

Dave, Maybe you missed the fact, that I sent Mack Sails, Amels original sail dimensions for a Super Maramu, as well as my old sail. Even though I am confident they could build a sail the correct size based on my old sail , I wanted them to have the factory specs. Which would be more accurate than anyone hoisting a tape measure up the mast, especially in windy conditions,and I live with a tape in my hand and take dozens of measurements everyday. By comparison , Mack Sails would be considered a " smaller loft" and they definately don't "mass produce". Since there is not that many sail makers with lofts producing sails here in the USA. , I would think you would know of Mack Sails and their reputation for excellent sails , especially for cruising boats. Anyway , Thank you for your concern , but everything is good, been down this road before.
Pat
SM#123