[Amel Yacht Owners] GPS Antenna below deck?

Andy Buxford

Your AIS transmitter depends on its own GPS receiver for the
millisecond-accurate time data supplied by GPS. This is how
packet-collisions are prevented. If you remove the GPS aerial the AIS
transmitter will no longer work, I believe.

Andy.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 7:04 PM, sailor63109@yahoo.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

In tracing down the wiring on the boat I've found another GPS antenna!

It provides position data to the ACR Nauticast B AIS. …

We've always had good results from the Nauticast so I'm likely to leave it
there, unless there's a good reason not to?