From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2018 5:54 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] New member question

Hello all, I just registered with this group because, after careful consideration of several bluewater yacht brands (we are past Pacific Seacraft owners), and time spent as crew on a Super Maramu, we have (almost) decided to purchase our own Amel.  Next week we are headed for Martinique to look at a few and I have a question for the group.

We will be looking at 2 Santorins and a SM.

My question:  One of the Santorins, a 1991, was re-powered in 2011 with a "Midif MD 1760."  Looking this up I find it is a 50-hp turbocharged Mitsubishi-built engine, distributed by Midif in France.  I could find no reviews or discussion on this engine anywhere online.  Does anybody have any experience with or reliable info on this engine?  Reliability?  Is it suitable for a Santorin?  I assume all parts and support would need to come from the distributor in France.

I will know more after a week on Martinique, but I am trying to be a well-informed shopper...

The other Santorin, a 1999, while "younger", has its original Volvo engine with 3300 hr (and original standing rigging), vs. the "older" Santorin which has the young Midif engine with 812 hr (and new standing rigging and seacocks).

Don't want to post too much at once.  Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Paul Cooper

Beaute Olivier

Hello Paul,

just a small info: the last Santorin was built in 1997.

Good luck in your search.

Olivier

On Monday, March 19, 2018, 4:02:55 AM GMT+1, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi ,

If you are around Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, we will be in Martinique on Kimberlite. Ponton 4.

Please drop by

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Paul,
Congratulations for looking for an Amel!

3300 hours is “nothing” for a properly maintained Diesel engine.
Personally I would stick with original equipment, it will be easier to get help from the Amel Forum.

Since you are going to Martinique, have you looked at Caraibe Yachts.
This is where I purchased my SM2K five years ago.
I used Jean Paul Bahuaud jp.bahuaud@caribbean-yachts.com and was very happy with the service.
I think now he has Olaf’ Santorin in his inventory, who now purchased an SM2K
http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/fr/occasions.php?recherche=constructeur&constructeur=1&longueur=0:0
I am sure this is a very well maintain vessel.

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com