[Amel Yacht Owners] Rats!

Mark Erdos

Duane,

The best way we have found to prevent rats from walking the lines onto the boat is to use an empty one liter soda bottle. Place the bottle between the dock and the boat with the rope passing through the bottle, longways (punch a hole in the bottom of the bottle). The bottle will spin on the rope it a rat tries to walk it. We used electrical ties to act as stoppers to prevent the bottle from moving up and down the rope. It not a pretty solution but it works. Or, you can get a cat.

BTW – it is also good practice to spray about the dock cleats with bug spray to prevent roaches from boarding via dock lines.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Guadeloupe

www.creampuff.us