Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Motor Bearing SM

Sv Garulfo

Hello,

Has anyone dismounted/replaced the bearings on the electric motor rotor of the Bow Thruster on SM? In particular, the bottom bearing.
see pictures. The bottom bearing is partially removed, but the remaining part seems stuck.

Asking on behalf of a friend on Super Maramu.

Thanks for your input
Thomas
GARULFO A54 #122
currently in Saint Martin

Mark & Debbie Mueller

A couple of thoughts - always protect the motor windings from heat and arc flash.

1) Use a bearing separator kit, it is a diamond shaped beveled puller.  This clamps on the small space between the inner race and the motor windings and uses a puller to remove the inner race from the shaft.

2) Take the assembly to a weld shop and weld to small beads on opposite sides of the inner race.  This will cause the race to expand then you can grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it off.

3) Carefully hacksaw a slight diagonal cut on the inner race so as not to damage the shaft, spread the inner race with a screwdriver and slide it off.

Good luck!

Mark Mueller

A54-68

Brass Ring, Fort Lauderdale

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon Soraya & Thomas,

Back in March 6, 2011 I saved an email sent from Gary to Gianni regarding the Bearing on the Electric Motor of the Bow Thruster.

Here is what it says:

the bearing in the base of the motor that supports the spline shaft is an NSK 6204VV bearing. Evidently the 6204 bearing size is very common and the VV means that the bearing is sealed with a rubber seal on each side. The bearing is a Single Row Radial Bearing; 20 mm ID x 47 mm OD x 14 mm Wide; Double Sealed, Non-Contact; C3 Clearance.

Extraction of the bearing and replacement is another issue. When you have accomplished the task please write it up and post it in the Files Section of the forum for the rest of us. Also, you could upload your photos to the Bow Thruster Service File in the Photos Section. I think they would useful to encourage everyone to annually service this area and take care of corrosion control.

So I am afraid no one has done this procedure, unless Gary or Bill did it.

Sincerely, Alexandre

PS: really enjoy the tour of your 54 !!!

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Motor Bearing SM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 8:17 AM

Hello,

Has anyone dismounted/replaced the bearings on the electric
motor rotor of the Bow Thruster on SM? In particular, the
bottom bearing.

see pictures. The bottom bearing is partially removed, but
the remaining part seems stuck.

Asking on behalf of a friend on Super Maramu.

Thanks for your input

Thomas

GARULFO A54 #122

currently in Saint Martin

Sv Garulfo

Hello,

Thanks all for your input.
This issue was eventually resolved. The bearings on the electric motor rotor of the Bow Thruster were removed with the help of a mechanic and his hydraulic press.
The bearings were replaced thanks to references from Alexandre and previous posts (GaryGianni).
This diagram from Amel saved here for reference: Bow Thruster Motor SM diagram.pdf.

Fair Winds,

Thomas
GARULFO A54#122
Saint Martin, FWI

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 8:17 AM

Hello,

Has anyone dismounted/replaced the bearings on the electric
motor rotor of the Bow Thruster on SM? In particular, the
bottom bearing.

see pictures. The bottom bearing is partially removed, but
the remaining part seems stuck.

Asking on behalf of a friend on Super Maramu.

Thanks for your input

Thomas

GARULFO A54 #122

currently in Saint Martin

Sv Garulfo

Hi Gary,

I had uploaded the file to the Bow thruster Maintenance folder in the files area with your other guides are.
Unfortunately, it seems right click & copying file address didn't work on this occasion.(test link)

The issue reported is on behalf of a friend on SM. The setup is different on the A54.

Thanks

Thomas
GARULFO A54#122
Saint Martin, FWI

On 10 April 2018 at 00:09, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Thomas:  I am glad you successfully replaced that bearing.  Unfortunately the pdf file you attached isn't accessible.  Please upload it to the files section of this site.  I believe there is a folder for bow thruster related files and if so please upload it to that folder.

All the best,

Gary Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000   #335