Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] SM Keel bolts

Mike Johnson

Hi Ian,

Just completed the job in Port Grimaud.

On hull 461 we required a 30mm “deep reach” socket to undo the keel bolt.

The hole in the copper strip we used was 2mm diameter.

We had our strip made up in UK for £120 including all the drilling, bending and delivery.

If you are in UK give me a call and I’ll talk you through our experience.  You should have our card somewhere.

Regards

Mike

Solitude
SM2K 461

On 31 Mar 2018, at 16:32, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 Hi all,

Does anyone know the diameter of the keel bolt in the grey water bilge in the engine room of an SM ? I am making up the copper strip that bolts on to the aft bolt but I'm not on board and don't know how big to make the hole on the copper strip.

     Ian and Judy,

 Pen Azen, SM 302, Preveza, Greece

Mike Johnson

Hi Ian,

Hole size should read 22mm

On 31 Mar 2018, at 18:05, Mike Johnson mike.k.johnson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Hi Ian,

I know there Is a drawing of the bonding strap is somewhere in the photos or possibly the files section of the Amel website.

I made mine out of a very thick wide piece of copper plate probably thicker than 1/8 of an inch.

To save a lot of soldering, I cut the top of the old bonding strap off and

soldered and bolted the old top of the plate, with wires attached, to the new strap. You need a torch to do this.

I do recall I used a 30 mm socket to remove the nut. However I do not remember the diameter of the bolt. It was at least 25 mm.

I used a large socket wrench with a number of extensions attached to remove and replace the nut. I taped the extensions together so they would not separate while working with the nut. Once the nut was removed I used a grabber tool to recover the nut.

It looks like this- https://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy-Grabber-and-Retriever-PF0401/202505170.

You need a long one. It has come in handy over the years to recover other stuff dropped into the bilge.

To replace the nut I just put some masking tape over the edges of the nut and the socket. It was rather easy.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Hi Mike,

 Yes, I did spot that 2mm was on the small side! I have left your phone number on the boat. Can you send it to me at   penazen@... ?

Ian

[...]

Hi Eric,

 Great minds think alike-- I have also used a strip 1/8" thick and am going to join it to the existing top half which is in good condition.

Wish I had your retriever on board--just hope I won't need it. Lots of Ducktape should do the trick

[...]

Alan Leslie

Hi Eric and Mike,

We replaced ours with a 3mm copper strap bent to Bill Rouse's dimensions...it needs to last...

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437