Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Oceanair Skyscreen
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, April 2, 2018, 3:08 PM

I'm looking for anyone with
experience with the Oceanair Skyscreen on the
SuperMaramu?
As part of our
vermin-proofing of Wanderer (see previous post on Rats!), we
want to put a screen on the ports and hatches that will at
least make intrusion detectable without a making a project
out of it (I have too many d@!!! projects
now!).
The Oceanair Skyscreen for
the overhead hatches (excluding the head) seems like a good
choice.  If you did buy them:- do you
like them?- did you attach them to the
wood trim in the main and forward cabins, or did you remove
these trim pieces so the Skyscreen flange was flat agains
the headliner?
Does anyone have another
suggestion for the overhead hatches?
Thanks,Duane

Ian Townsend

I am interested in these screens as well. Alexandre, do you remember the sizes you installed? Here is why I ask...

In October, we had the Oceanair rep on board in Fort Lauderdale to do the measuring for these screens and possibly the other portlight curtains. Once he left we never heard from him again despite several calls/emails.

Ian Townsend
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153

On Apr 2, 2018, at 7:00 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Here it is Duane,

http://www.nikimat.com/hatches_screen_oceanair.html

Therefore when I had the rat coming, he (or she) was able to open the hatch, so I had to use pin to secure it.

I think the rat would be able to chew through it, as it later tried to shew through the little mosquitoes mesh of the small hatches.

For info, I had MRE (military meal ready to eat onboard), the rat even chew through the heavy duty plastic…

So in short, I doubt the Ocean Skyscreen will prevent rat invasion.

To reply your 2nd question: Yes I like them, very practical to open the mosquito mesh in order to close the hatches. I never used the black out fabric.

Yes I attached them to the wood trim of the salon and forward cabins, and to close the little gap, I put a little auto adhesive rubber.

Hope that helps…

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, April 2, 2018, 3:08 PM

I'm looking for anyone with
experience with the Oceanair Skyscreen on the
SuperMaramu?
As part of our
vermin-proofing of Wanderer (see previous post on Rats!), we
want to put a screen on the ports and hatches that will at
least make intrusion detectable without a making a project
out of it (I have too many d@!!! projects
now!).
The Oceanair Skyscreen for
the overhead hatches (excluding the head) seems like a good
choice.  If you did buy them:- do you
like them?- did you attach them to the
wood trim in the main and forward cabins, or did you remove
these trim pieces so the Skyscreen flange was flat agains
the headliner?
Does anyone have another
suggestion for the overhead hatches?
Thanks,Duane

Mark Erdos

Ian & Duane,

Save yourselves $1000 or $270 per hatch and make your own screens. We fabricated these out of starboard and glued mesh onto them with a hot-glue gun. They can be deployed from inside or outside the boat. They drop into and rest in the hatches. Very easy and cheap to make.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Guadeloupe

www.creampuff.us

Mark Erdos

Here is the pic if it didn't come through

Ian Townsend

Those are great screens. You guys did a fantastic, economical job.

The other reason for our interest in the Oceanair product is to replace our current hatch curtains. We had the Oceanair on our last boat and quite liked the recessed blackout blind feature.

Ian
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153

On Apr 3, 2018, at 7:09 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian & Duane,

Save yourselves $1000 or $270 per hatch and make your own screens. We fabricated these out of starboard and glued mesh onto them with a hot-glue gun. They can be deployed from inside or outside the boat. They drop into and rest in the hatches. Very easy and cheap to make.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Guadeloupe

www.creampuff.us

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Ian,

Sorry you never heard from the guy…

The only reference to the size is 1080.
Here is the original invoice:
http://www.nikimat.com/factures/2014_12_23_shopepal.jpg
That is for salon and forward cabin.

Therefore I think the newer model are slightly different (nicer) looking.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Oceanair Skyscreen
To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Monday, April 2, 2018, 3:08 PM

[...]

We were put off by the idea of the fixed screens because of the forward head hatch set up with the support bar. There is no way I could live without all the hatches matching perfectly – it is the OCD in me.

[...]

Paul Osterberg

This is the products we use keep mosquitoes out, it have even keep  some rats to stay In the cockpit, a few times we have found droppings from rats in the cockpit.

It is mesh fabric kept in place by lead weights type shotguns less

Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259