Topics

PredictWind

Patrick McAneny

I know many owners have PredictWind, a couple questions. Have you made passages following their routes, have they proved accurate. They  suggested using the 54's polars as they do not have it for the SM . Would they be similar enough to use for polars for the SM ?

Thanks,

Pat SM#123

Paul Osterberg

We use PW together with IGo very user friendly and good service. The problem I have is that you get 4 different forecasts, if I ask someone for an advice or opinion I want a straight answer, not four different. One can argue if three out of four show similar result thrust the three. I have at several occasions found that not to be true. Often when looking around you it does not blow as the PW routing forecast, then trusting the routing to send you to another point where the wind most likely is not what it is forecasted we tried but stoped very quick with that. When we make a longer crossing we set course so that our boat sails well and comfortable if the course is 20 or even 25 degree of corse we do not bother to much, sooner or later condition will give oss a cource that take us comfortable towards our destination. the forecast  we take for what it is an forecast, it gives the main direction and an aproximation of wind strength certainly very valuable and important for avoiding bad weather.

Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

There is a setting that you can use instead of actual polars where you more or less tell it how fast your boat goes under certain conditions.  Sort of the kid's version of the polars.  It's called "Sail", as opposed to "Predefined," which is where you find the '54.  We use "Sail".  It is what PW recommends for "cruising boats."

Since PW is not very accurate at all in the Med, what we do is we simply re-run and re-download the Weather Routing every few hours.  It's only usually like a 10K download: almost nothing.  Evidently you need to be under cellular range, or to have SSB or sat.  We have Iridium GO!

Peregrinus
SM2K #350 (2002)
Underway, Crete to Sicily